Clearing Error 27 on Canon PIXMA MP190

If you have Win7/8 but your device does not have any drivers newer than XP/win2k... you can get it to work. If the driver package is a self-extracting executable you will need to unpack it first.

Once you do that, you can install your device but you will have to OK installing an unsigned driver.

Though I have gotten this to work with no problems...and Win7/8 is pretty good about rolling back drivers that could potentially harm your system...this would have to be done at your own risk as there is no absolute guarantee.

Though there are plenty of utilities that will extract the files from the self-extracting installer,I used to simply start the process but not cancel it when I got the message about the OS not being supported... then simply copy the files from the temporary location to a folder elsewhere.

Reply to
philo

Yes, that is my case. I'm not interested in being on the leading edge of the computer world. That's not my business or main interest. When I'm sitting at a computer, nothing is getting done around here. Same for "up" grading -- my experience going from DOS to 3.1, 95, 98 and 2000 is that something is always lost or doesn't work as well when it's finished. The only advantage I have seen is CPU speed when I have to upgrade the hardware, and that really is not important for anything I do online.

Mostly I just need to calculate, enter text, create simple line drawings or make simple photo manipulations. The few websites I have done are very simple using at text editor and HTML -- displaying basic text and graphics. No security, flash, e-commerce, tracking, etc., needed. I use them mostly for distributing documents or use with WS_FTP as a dropbox for sending and receiving documents and large files.

I seldom need video or game software. Any websites I can't access with IE6, I just use Firefox, Chrome, etc. For work, 99%+ of my use is text-based. Nearly all is keyboard-based. I only use the mouse as a last resort.

My business is mostly working hands-on away from computers at industrial field sites. Any computer work on site is done using proprietary industrial software or the customer's system. 386's are still the most common CPU for running equipment in most plants I visit.

Any of my own home computer use involves reading, writing and rithmatic, and that's pretty much it. Any documents I need can be converted to older or newer version with any number of low-cost online services.

For engg drawings, my ACAD Version 12 (c. 1994) does everything I need. Don't need virtual reality, 3-D, etc -- just plain old X-Y drawings are fine.

There's no quicker way to get exactly the kind of file list I need than DOS.... dir *.doc > filelist.txt

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL!!

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob