Cleanser

I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always use a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised to try Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's primary ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you but seems to clean better.

Reply to
philo

The cleansers are why it does not clean up well. The glaze is ruined from years of abrasives. You may do well with a good liquid cleaner also

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks. The tub must be 60 years old or so and is really not too bad. I'm sure it would cost a ton of money to replace.

Reply to
philo

This time last year I did a complete bathroom remodel with the exception of the toilet. My bathtub was 90+ years old and the interior glaze was completely gone. Some of the wear was from years and years of use but a good part was from abrasive cleansers. I used Bar Keepers Friend on it many times and it improved it's looks substantially but once the glaze is gone it seemed to take more and more scrubbing.

My new tub is one of those walk-in models with a gel coat. All it takes and all it gets is a wipe down with one of those trigger bathroom cleaners.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Anything abrasive would tear up the gel coat in a couple of cleanings.

How long does it take for the tub to drain before you can get out?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yep, that's why it only gets the foamy stuff.

I've only filled it up a few times as I quickly learned a 40 gallon water heater was just not large enough to fill it without running out of hot water. I had to get a new water about a month ago and opted for a 50 gallon size and that's as large as I can go in the space it sits in. Anyway, it takes about 5 minutes to drain; I could have opted for one of those power drainers but I didn't.

I really do like it and the complete bathroom remodel really, really looks great. This is not my bathroom but I did opt for the shelves at the faucet end like shown in this picture.

ItsJoanNotJoann

Thanks for the extra adultury link. Im getting laid 3 miles from my house. Ill check out their setup.

Reply to
Thomas

One of these days I may replace the entire tub and stall, but next year is a total roof replacement. I told my wife...no major vacations next year. Just had the rood replaced 25 years ago. If I have to keep doing this every 25 years, it's going to be a PITA :)

Reply to
philo

I don't see that when I view the picture. Someone else on another group several days ago had pretty much the same statement. It wasn't my picture at the time but I didn't see what they were complaining about and neither did most of the other posters.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

If you like the tub, you can choose to have it re-glazed in lieu of a replacement. I believe the cost is a fraction of replacement, though, I haven't researched that.

Reply to
Meanie

It does not need to be re-glazed basically just a good cleaning.

After three cleanings...it looks pretty good.

Reply to
philo

Oren posted for all of us...

Hey Oren, have you cleansed your tub drain problem?

Reply to
Tekkie®