Cleaning Toilet pedestal of metal marks

We have just bought new bog-brush - one in a metal cylindrical holder, with the top of the metal cylinder fixed to the brush handle.

In brushing the bog the metal has either scratched (which I doubt) or marked the inside of the bog. It looks like light aluminium scratches - but you cannot detect by touch.

The question is : what should I try to remove the marks? - kitchen cleaner has no effect.

Reply to
boggo

Don't get your hopes up - I have accidently marked a toilet cistern in a similar way (unpacked it, rolled it over and accidently rolled it on the shaft of a screwdriver, which left an unremovable mark). I suspect it's micro cracking of the glaze.

If it is a metalic deposit in your case, an acid will dissolve it, such as a little brick acid (hydrochloric acid), but I wouldn't bet any money on it. Make sure any chemicals you use in a toilet are well flushed from the pan and pipework before using any other chemicals, as many of them react very badly with each other, and react with some types of waste pipework.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Hmm, well, most of the type of brush as you describe normally have a rubbery bit on the edge that fits the bottom bit, and also stops metal on glaze from happening. I suspect the metal is there to stay and the glaze could be damaged. I hope you don't live in a hard water area, I have huge problems with lime scale. I find though that the chemicals that take off the scale don't touch the marks made by inappropriate metal scrapers used to get rid of the scale. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ewww, you're touching the inside of your bog?

Anyway, from experience with a belfast sink, they do mark very easily when touched with any metal implement. This is usually just some of the metal being abraded by the glaze leaving a thin streak of powder that is difficult to clean off. I found the best way of getting rid of it is a mild abrasive such as Bar Keepers Friend.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If it is aluminium then a caustic soda based product is the most effective, either caustic soda itself or one of the caustic soda based oven cleaners.

This is very effective on our composit/Asterite sink which is very prone to being marked by aluminium cooking utensils.

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

Rimming has never killed anyone that I know of:-)

Reply to
ARW

Ewwwww!

Reply to
Steve Firth

Rimming has never killed anyone that I know.

Reply to
polygonum