Cleanser needed before power flush??

Hi all,

We will be having our system power flushed (as new boiler put in and loads of sludge) and the plumber has suggested putting a cleanser in a few days before. I thought a cleanser was instead of a power flush? Is this really necessary?

I have had a few issues with him and wondered if he is going to 'pretend' to power flush but actually do a chemical clean instead.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Many thanks Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca

I'd guess the cleanser is to dislodge the scale prior to the flush. Power flushing alone is unlikely to be very effective I would have thought

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Really both the chemical before and during the use of the machine are good. If you don't trust the guy to do the right work why are you using him?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

As he was the plumber contractor used by the building company that did our extension so its incompleted work! I realise that sounds odd without that explanation! Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Rebecca

It is worth doing IMHO. A chemical cleaner can't actually remove anything from the water without a flush, but it can help dislodge and break down sludge in the system prior to flushing.

(it will only cost you £15 ish for the cleaner, so why worry?)

Reply to
John Rumm

How long can the cleaner fluid be left in the CH system?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It will probably tell you on the back of the bottle. IIRC when I did mine, I stuck the cleaner in a week or so before decommissioning the old boiler...

Reply to
John Rumm

Due to ill health, as I mentioned on my posting of an article about grinding a twist drill, I have not been well enough to drain my system down. It has cleaner in it from late last year. What damage can it have done?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

[1] see here:

John Rumm

Many thanks John. I am slowly getting there and I will post details on both subjects soon.

Dave

Reply to
Dave