cars at stoplights

Is it my imagination or have people at stop lights been leaving more space between their car and the one in front of them than normally?

Because of the virus?

Reply to
micky

There are a lot of brain washed drones out there.

Reply to
Jack G....

I've been driving more carefully, considering a collision would mean being around more people.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It happens that micky formulated :

They probably heard about tailpipes being infectious.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Just people spitting out the window ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

These days, depending on where you live, you might want to consider what happens if the street quickly fills with "protesters". Having more maneuvering room makes it easier to get the Dodge out of there, perhaps giving one of the street vermin a bump — accidentally, of course.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Probably just an effect of fewer cars on the road.

Maybe a car caravan of antique cars. Picture a bunch of old Chevys with the chokes stuck closed.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You are safe if you are not driving an OLD Toyota. Last Corona was built about what, 1982???

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

There are supposedly countries in Europe where it is common practice to leave one car length between cars at a stop light. The theory is that when the light changes, all start at once, and you get twice as many people through the light.

I don't know if it's still true. I lived in Germany 5 years and did not actually see this (though I did notice how HIGHLY skilled the average driver was there.)

This would not work in the US because while texting hardly any driver notices the light changing at all until someone behind them honks.

An anecdote about driving in Germany. Maybe somebody here will recognize themselves. It was early Sunday morning in Kitzingen, and there was almost zero traffic, a nice sunny morning. I screwed up and turned the wrong way on a one way, and realized it. But there were no cars visible in any direction, and I was one block! from the main thoroughfare, so the easiest thing was to drive the rest of that block and scoot out of there before I got caught. I made it to the crosswalk and stop sign, and then........ a pedestrian appeared from nowhere, a little old lady, and stood in front of the car and chewed me out. I pretended to speak no German, she pretended to speak no English, but her iron will prevailed. She forced me to turn around and go back that one block. She was fearless and confident she was right, and actually she was. The kids thought it was hilarious.

Reply to
TimR

It isnt and trivial to check with the street view now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The street I live on is a short, ordinary residential street with very little traffic. However, the next street over is a major cross-town street. It had more traffic than usual yesterday.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I leave space in case the car in front breaks down. Standard police training.

Reply to
Thomas