Car warranty

Projector beam lamps are hardly "sealed beams" and most of THEM are still behind polycarbonate covers.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mine averages the speed from when I start the car to when I shut it off - and averages the fuel mileage the same way.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why are we thinking 7" at all. You can put an ass licking LED in something 50mm in diameter and if you can't slip that into an aerodynamic shape, get a better engineer. Even in very tough glass, it is still going to be ounces.

Reply to
gfretwell

Honest isn't the issue. Crooks should rot in jail. It is simply efficiency and effectiveness. Who better to manage car ownership and insurance requirements than the people who pay when people cheat? We have 50 state DMVs and the district, who don't really talk that well together, trying to make sure a very mobile population has valid licenses, insurance and they actually own the car they are selling. Insurance companies with shared databases are far better positioned to do that and it would be a lot cheaper for them to manage. Tags as we know them might go away soon anyway. We might be getting a chip and maybe a QR code that reports an ID number for that particular car to anyone listening. The computer fills in all the blanks from there.

Reply to
gfretwell

There's a short form passport good for Canada and Mexico, or the Caribbean if you go by boat as well as domestic air travel. In this state the cost is the same as getting RealID added to your DL. I want to go up to Banff so I'll pick one up.

It's complicated in this state since there is a state law against implementing RealID that they had to dance around. And, for the record, it was a Democratic governor that signed that law.

Reply to
rbowman

If it was a cheap commodity part, who would care?

Reply to
gfretwell

YOU were talking about "sealed beams".

Of you want to say a 4th or 5th generation high tech universal light sourse, say it. !st generation was glass lens over steel reflector with tungsten bulb. Second gen was sealed beam tungsten - with 2a being sealed beam halogen. Third gen is aerodynamic or "euro" style with replaceable bulbs - including HID and LED.

4th generation would include projector beam lamps with replaceable LED or HID bulbs while 5th generation would be "solid state" headlights - a unitized high tech light source with integrated optics - possibly "universal fit" If you make them 3 inches in diameter the optics could very well ge glass (and may HAVE to be to handle the thermal density)
Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have a passport card, looks like a passport in driver's license format. You can go to those local places on it but you can't fly in a plane coming or going from the US. It is my Greta Card. If I just want to take a slow boat around the horn to Puerta Vallarta, I am all set ... as long as I don't want to get off the boat along the way.

I didn't know this until they sent me the card and I read the stuffer. I think it is only money to get the book at this point tho. Since it is unlikely I am really going anywhere I am not worried. The interesting thing is I just got the regular renewal service and they still turned it around in about 2 weeks, maybe less. I was shocked.

Reply to
gfretwell

I _STARTED_ w/ the 200 when the 400 didn't touch anything and then worked up and polished...the problem is the crazing and cloudiness is not just on surface.

I've not had any that didn't have that kind of issues to more or less extent. The trucks are the worst (there also the oldest so stands somewhat to reason) but even the newer are showing the problem developing.

If could just polish out as said elsewhere I'd consider it a miracle.

Reply to
dpb

Not my experience...'98 / '99 Silverados.

Meanwhile those on the '58 C60 grain truck/seed tender are still pristine but even if weren't a replacement is about $10 at NAPA...

Reply to
dpb

Well the concept is surely not illegal...use whatever you want for the light source, just use a decent lens material over it.

Reply to
dpb

I think there is a distance limitation for Mexico. Puerto Penasco is as far as I want to go and that has always been a special snowflake. The road only goes there and dead ends so you didn't use to even need a turista card.

I only fly Trans Love Toyota these days so that suits me fine.

Reply to
rbowman

Reply to
Clare Snyder

For me anything less than a full passport is a waste of money and energy. Sure, I go to the states every once in a while, but I'm more likely to want to travel elsewhere in the world. And you know you (an American) can actually enter Canada without a passport or enhanced document???

Good luck getting back home though - - - - My stepmother's brother from Michigan came up for his brother-in-law's funeral in Wallenstein Ontario and forgot his passport. Had to have a friend get into the house and courier the passport up before he could return home - -- -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Might be hard for a hillbilly to get a passport in the USA but I had no problem getting my Canadian one - or renewing it numerous times

Reply to
Clare Snyder

After polishing off the yellow the crazing didn't affect the light output or the appearance from 10 feet or more away but after about the third go-round I decided to do the replacement before the lens actually fell apart -- -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The silverado is one example where if sealed beams were used it wouldn't make much difference. The lens even LOOKS like a sealed beam. From 87 to 88 things didn't change much except 87 has a 4X6 sealed beam and 88 had a euro-style headlight. Up to 99 they were still not "aerodynamic"

The 58 was a handsome looking truck

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Exactly what I've been saying for what, a week now???

Reply to
Clare Snyder

With technology they bar code passports for efficiency. Why not have that bar code tattooed on your ass so they can just scan you at the border. No more paper needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have been elsewhere in the world and it is pretty hard to beat the US. If I can't find enough wilderness here my card works in Canada and I don't need to fly there. I can go somewhere in the US and get an SUV.

Reply to
gfretwell