Car warranty

Of course there is reason. Cars today aren't boxy and square anymore and you'd need these sealed beams in orders of magnitude more shapes and sizes than in years past when just a dozen or so sealed beams fit all cars. Additionally, most of today's plastic lenses don't just cover the headlamp bulb, but also turn signals too. And then you'd be complaining that all of them were too expensive.

Reply to
trader_4

You can drown in a lake that has an average depth of 4 ft. And it's not just the headlight lens with reduced drag. Most of the reduced drag is from the whole car being streamlined, which requires a certain shape headlight. Sounds like you want to go back to the 70s and square cars.

Largely irrelevant. A good portion of the time, cars aren't even moving at all, eg stopped at a light. So, we should just forget about all the times that they are being driven at 75 mph? Drag goes up as the square of the speed too. IDK about you, but I'd rather have a car that uses less fuels, spews less CO2.

How logical. Design the headlight, and then the car. We should put you in charge. It would be like the Simpson's episode where Homer's brother was CEO of an auto company and put Homer in charge of designing a new car.

They seem to be able to do it now.

But it's going to look pretty stupid, sticking up above the hood and lines of the car.

Reply to
trader_4

Are you sure about that? The avg trip speeds I've seen take total distance divided by total time. Seems illogical to say that your avg speed from Philly to your home in downtown Boston was 70.6 MPH, when it doesn't count the time you're stopped in traffic, at lights, etc. And when you do count it, it's really 60.5.

I've never gone anywhere for a replacement lens. I go to the autopart store for bulbs, which are standardized. Presumably the new LED assemblies last the life of the car. IF not, then yes, you'd need to get one at the dealer or aftermarket source, if there is one. But that's true with a high percentage of car parts already. And because of styling and aerodynamics, you'd have to have pretty much the same thing anyway, a huge variety of shapes and sizes. It's not 1970 anymore with just a dozen possibilities.

You said one little 3" bump isn't going to change the air flow.

Reply to
trader_4

On 12/15/2019 8:41 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Typo -- P120 was P200 of course.

(Been sanding woodwork prior to painting and have 120 on brain...)

Reply to
dpb

OK if that is true, what is the aerodynamic coefficient of a car sitting still? It really doesn't matter anyway. The car companies are going to do whatever they can to make owning an older car more expensive so you will junk it and buy a new one. I am sure they thank you for all the help.

Reply to
gfretwell

Truck-lite (Rigid Industries) and Alpina are both polycarbonate.So are the YouStars.I believe all of Raneys' offerings are also polycarbonate. The only glass 7 inch LED headlights I have ever sean were NOT sealed beams - they were Euro style H4 headlights with LED H4 replacement bulbs installed.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You are the first one on this newsgroup to describe the insurance companies as "honest" - and where insurance and regisration are tied together virtually ALL are "government insurance"

Guess you think the "government " is "honest" but the DMV" is not?????

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Which wouldn't solve the problem if they - as they most certainly would - continue to make them with polycarbonate lens.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You can do it today in Ontario on the Service Ontario site -which is NOT where you buy insurance

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Oratex is MonoKote on steroids.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A Honda or a Ford could have the converter as part of the exhaust manifold. I am sure others did it too

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Can only do 1 or 2 years here - and you get the sticker to the end of that period - no need to send a second sticker. No discount for thinking ahead and pre-paying either

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Average speed of my Ranger over the last 2 years was just under

60kph - but half of that was at over 90K. The last 2 tanks on the Kia averaged just over 50kph and it only left town 3 times for about 30Km per trip. We have a pretty good "expressway" going around town that moves pretty good if you avoid rush-hour

Aerodynamic drag increases with the square of speed, so 60MPH ir 4 times as much drag as 30. A Citreon DS21 had 91 HP, and carried 28.5 lb per horsspower with a cD of 0.38. It could cruise all day at 85Mph. Try that with a cD of 0.45.

Attaching a bike carrier on a Prius - without a bike - costs about

2MPG at 90kph
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Handling and ride - definitely - "performance" not so much

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Quincy was a pretty prolific designer. Foam sandwich is still quite common - as is LycraGlass construction (stretch lycra over a frame and apply epixy resin. Stretch a second layer over it when it has set and repeat. VERY strong light construction for fairings etc,

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They were "sealed" in that there was no servicable parts - they had an encapsulated halogen bulb in them. Crappy polycarbonate lens and reflector - and aftert 6 months as much light went through the reflector as went out the front. Had the little rectangular ones on the LeBaron and the New Yorker. The only good thing about them eas gravel stones bounced off of them instead of poking holes in them

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'll bet the yellow was gone in a minute or two. To make them CLEAR requires wet sanding to 2000 - NOT 200 - and then coating and polishing. Gotta have a SMOOTH finish to be clear

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not legal in the USA since about 1962

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Never heard of a passport, eh??

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Passport is good for 10 years and I can travel ANYWHERE

Reply to
Clare Snyder