Buying a kitchen sink faucet in Chicago?

I need to buy a kitchen sink faucet. My present one has one handle and a separate sprayer: I am used to it, so I'd go with that. However, I would like the spout to be high, to accommodate bigger pots in the sink.

A few questions-

Finish: Which ones are longest lasting and best resist fading or damage during regular use?

Brand: Where is the best value for most trouble free operation?

Store: I know about Home Depot, but are there any local unknown (to me) gems that would be better?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Ajanta

We just bought new kitchen faucets as our hot water stopped coming out of it.

The new one has 1 handle for hot, 1 for cold, 1 spray and a a high spout. We have 1 sink.

We shopped around at hardware stores plumbing supplies but could not find what we were looking for. It looks like stainless steel or chrome. We finally bought a Danze, it comes with a life time waranty, if you send in the card to register with them. They have a website also.

shirleyann

Reply to
Shirley ann

Go to Sam's club, they have a very nice fixture with a separate sprayer for $50. We're using it and are very happy. I've seen it recently in Wheeling, Evanston, and V. Hills Sam's stores.

mrsgator88

Everyone's got their own opinions about brands, but I've always been happy with Moen products. I bought this kitchen faucet for the same reason you mentioned:

Go to
and click on the "where to buy" link. I used 60608 as zip code, and searched for "home centers" and "distinctive showrooms". I got the results below. You should try whatever zip code is more specific to your location.

Don't assume that "distinctive showrooms" means "most expensive". I actually got the best price on my faucet from a place like that here, and it was a special order item for them.

N TUREK & SONS SUPPLY COMPANY

1333 S JEFFERSON ST CHICAGO, IL 60607-5035 US

1.73 miles away Map Driving Directions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DUMORE SUPPLY

2525 S WABASH AVE CHICAGO, IL 60616-2308 US

2.3 miles away Map Driving Directions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HOME DEPOT

4555 S WESTERN BLVD CHICAGO, IL 60609-3028 US

2.79 miles away Map Driving Directions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MEYERS ACE HARDWARE

315 E 35TH ST CHICAGO, IL 60616-3927 US

2.94 miles away Map Driving Directions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FRONCZAK HARDWARE

2606-08 W 47TH ST CHICAGO, IL 60632-1397 US

3.07 miles away Map Driving Directions

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have a Moen single handle faucet with the spray in the center. The single handle has broken off twice but it is an easy repair. The big problem is with the chrome plate which has started to peel off the plastic faucet. This is often sharp and has cut several hands. I file the edges off from time to time. I believe this would be a problem with most brands since they are all chrome plated plastic these days. Stay away from chrome, pay the slightly extra price for stainless steel. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Which parts of your faucet are plastic?

I went with Moen for two more faucets, after a good experience with their customer service. The plastic dip tube in my water heater was defective. It was deteriorating and sending plastic crumbs into the pipes. The plumber who repaired it suggested that I check the internals of all the faucets, because the crumbs had a tendency to lodge themselves in small places and cause trouble.

In order to be prepared ahead of time in case I needed parts, I went to the Moen site and emailed them for the correct cartridge model number for my shower faucet. The email page requested name, address & phone number. Instead of emailing a response, I got a phone call. The person gave me the part number, but said they were shipping a new one for free. I explained that the problem had nothing to do with their product, and that I didn't expect anything for free. She said she wanted to save me the trouble of actually finding the part. It was shipped UPS 2nd day air.

I haven't had problems with the chrome on any of their products. Have you called them about it?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Two gems:

Gerber on Milwaukee Ave., Remodelers Supply on Pulaski around Addison/belmont

Reply to
kenji

Here's a question- can you still get a shower-handle that does volume AND temp? All the Home-Despot stuff (Moen, AmSt) does not- according to my wife. She, and the builder both bought the same model of Moen that does ONLY temp; this is not good when putting Trent Jr. in the tub.

trent

Reply to
trent

What do you mean "does only temp"? Are you saying that in terms of the amount of water coming out, the handle gives you either off, or full force, with nothing in between? If this is the case, I think it's time to call Moen. Something sounds wrong. I can't believe anyone would design such a thing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In article , you say...

I can, because my builder went with the cheapest faucet Moen makes (or at least, damn near it):

No volume control, just temp. Moen does make plenty of more convential faucets that can do both, you may just need to go somewhere better than Home Depot to find them.

Reply to
Kristian M Zoerhoff

That's bizarre. I wonder if Moen is hiring out of work engineers from the 3 American car makers.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't know the model number/name- but, no, that's what this model does. You turn the thing, the water comes on, and you can adjust the temp (only). And, according to my wife (

Reply to
trent

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've been wondering the same thing. I remember I used to have the kind where it turns to adjust temperature, and you pull out - push in for on/off and volume. But when I went to get a new one for a remodel, it seemed that all the pressure-balancing ones had temp control only. Similar teardrop-shaped handle, but it only turns, does not push in-out. I'm wondering if the pressure-balancing feature (that keeps the temp constant when someone flushes a toilet or starts the washing machine while you're showering) is incompatible with flow control somehow. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Reply to
Charlie Morgan