Kitchen faucet - cannot shut off hot water to fix whistling noise

Faucet - single handle with sprayer wand by Grohe.

I'm trying to replace the cartridge inside to stop the whistling noise. (This was done ~1 yr ago for the same problem. The initial whistle started ~5 yrs after the house was built.) The problem is that I cannot shut off the hot water using the shut-off value under the sink. Even after tight closing, there is good amount of flow to make a real good mess. I am able to shut off the cold water using the other value, by the way.

I saw in another thread that the value needs to be replaced. Is this an easy job? What tools do I need? A valve failure 6 yrs after construction - is this normal?

Also, is it normal to have the new cartridge make the whistling noise in 1 year? I may be able to replace just the washer, but since the original noise was followed by complete failure of the cartridge (a part broke), I think I'll just change the whole darn cartridge. Or, is there an easier/cheaper way to fix this noise?

Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
FGreen

Go to the water heater, and shut the valve leading into it. Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

A plumber told me the turn offs typically used last 8 years at best. Better ones are available. Probaby rubber from the bad turn off washer valve broke off and is causing the whistling.

Reply to
Art

Shut off the water supply to the house, replace the filter/valve and the hot water shut-off. Kill two birds with one stone.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

It's normal because the construction co only uses the cheapest components possible. It's a gate valve and they are notoriously unreliable. Replace it with a ball valve and you'll never have that problem again. They do have replacement ball valves at Home Depot and Lowes, but you have to look for them because they mostly carry crappy gate valves because most people are too stupid to replace their crappy gate valves with ball valves.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

....and make sure you have the faucet open a little as you're turning off the supply.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

These valves oftne go from non-use. I have a couple in the same situation. Turn the main off and replace it. Aslfor tools, it depnds on the valve. Soldered? You probably want to get help from someonw ith experience. Threded? Then you only need a couple of wrenches and the sealing tape for the joints.

I have a different but very reputable brand of faucets in my house. I had to replace the seals in them too frequent. Some that saw a lot of use would not last a year. After a few years I added a whole house water filter to take out sediment. That was 15 years ago and I"ve not replace a single seal since. The fine rust (not even visible) in the water was acting as an abrasive and ruining the facets and fixtures. You may have a similar situation. Just because you don't see it, does not mean there is not something like that in the water. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski