Sewer gas when washing clothes

We finished our basement and had extensive plumbing done in the process, not only inside, but also outside. After our most recent work (we had a pipe installed to evacuate our washing machine water that was between the sheet rock and the wall -- it froze this winter. The plumber re-installed the line on the warm side of the sheet rock.), we notice that when we do a load of laundry, we got the odor of sewer gas or methane eminating from our laundry tub. Any ideas what could be causing this? -- it's very frustrating. Thanks.

Reply to
raymondokeefe

Ray,

I wonder if the new plumbing line includes a trap?

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

It's quite possible that if that line is not vented properly the water in the trap could get sucked right out, from another drain in the house.

If there is no water in the trap, sewer gasses will come up.

If there is a removable trap installed on the laundry tub, when your smelling the sewer gasses, put a towel under the trap and take the trap off, if there is lots of water in it there is some other problem. If it's dry, or you don't have a trap it very well could be a venting problem.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Zimmerman

Dave may be right about the lack of a trap. I also could be a problem with a vent (or lack of one).

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There should be a vent and that vent may be plugged up or maybe the plumber bypassed it inadvertently when he did the new hookup

Good Luck, tHAT

Reply to
thehatter