building a door frame

Hi,

I have a door with a side panel, but it didn't come with a frame, so I need to build the frame. The door is 36" x 7', western red cedar. The frame is going to be dry red pine.

How so I know how big to make the frame? How much clearance on each side do I need, including the hinges and everything? What about the weather stripping? This is an exterior door.

Also, I haven't been able to buy a metal sill anywhere, without buying the whole frame & door complete. Can I just make a wooden sill, and maybe put one of those flat metal grooved sills on top?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Sherry

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sherry Townes (519) 888-4567 x5103 Dept of Information Systems & Technology fax# (519)725-2052 University of Waterloo snipped-for-privacy@ist.uwaterloo.ca

Sherry Townes

Take your measurements to Lowes or Home Depot. Also an accurate drawing of what you need and some extra paper/pencil. If they dont have the free series of Informational brochures that show about how todo everything(Lowes always has these things) theyll probably draw you a picture. They sell everything you'll need from precut "frame" pieces, to hinges and weatherstripping

They sell these too. Try to find "the old PRO" guy that knows everything at HD. Theres usually one there.

Rudy