Briggs & Stration 6HP engine

I have a lawn mower with a 6HP briggs & Stration 6HP quntaim engine (mdoel

133702 type 0170 02). I was having an issue with it running rought. I took the carb apart and clena it. It is now running much better at idle but will stall under load. Cna someone provide me with adjustment directions of the carb. There is a small scew (mixture) on the card as a starting point how should this be adjusted? When I cleaned the carb I did not mess with any of the screws.

RGB

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
RGB

adjustment for the air/fuel jets are turn all the way in until seats (don't over tighten) back out 1 & 1/2 turn. when running turn clockwise to lean (reduce the fuel) air / fuel mix and counter clockwise to richen (add more fuel) to fuel / air mix

good luck

Reply to
Dr. Doctor

You can try the adjustment specified in another posting and hope it helps. But I'd suggest that you do the job again using the following procedure. Turn each mixture screw in until it gets tight, counting the number of turns it takes. This should be between 1 and 2 turns. There may only be one mixture screw - that's OK. Then completely remove the screw and clean the carb again, especially those passages where the screw went into. There could still be a piece of dirt stuck in there. When you put it all back together, insert the screw, turn it in until it gets tight, then back it out to the original setting. This should at least get it running again.

If there are two mixture adjustments, one will be used at idle speed and the other at higher speeds. There is most likely an idle speed adjustment on the carb as well. At idle, adjust the idle mixture for the highest RPM, then adjust the idle speed adjustment for the proper speed. This varies with engine model but will usually be 1500 - 1800 RPM for regular rotary mowers. Then set the throttle to its high speed setting and adjust the other mixture screw for smooth acceleration without backfiring or hesitation. This should not require more than about 1/2 turn in either direction.

You can download many operations and parts manuals from the B&S web site. These will provide the appropriate speed settings and might even tell you how to adjust the mixture valve(s).

Reply to
Bob M.