storing half-used paint tins - any point?

Just been painting my windows, and have a bit of white gloss left. Basically, if I leave it in a cupboard for at least a few months (certainly won't want to do any work before then) will it be 'good as new' or does the stuff get worse over time? It's only a fiver or so's worth, and as it's brilliant white I could get a matching replacement no prob, so will only bother storing the stuff if it 'keeps'.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Yes, you have to keep old paint tins for at least two years: it's one of the Laws of DIY. (Turn the tins upside down, to form an airtight seal.)

You see, if you throw them out -- either now or in 2 years' time -- two weeks after that you will be faced with a little, small painting job ....

OTOH, if you keep them, that little job will never show up. So you pay the price of a small amount of storage area, for the benefit of less painting jobs to be done.

John

Reply to
John

Make sure the lid is tight then turn the Tin upside down, this way the skin forms on the bottom.

Reply to
ben

As long as you store it upside-down, it will keep for ages. Mark it with a waterproof pen to say how much is in it. Might be useful for the odd chip repair if you are clumsy or have kids or both. :o)

Reply to
Jim Scott

Heh! how did you manage to get your post before mine? I sent my post and it was the only answer to the OP 2 minutes before Jim scott.

The only way I can think of is a delay in your server or you turned the clock back 2 minutes.

Reply to
ben

Careful that the air inside the tin doesn't expand and blow the lid off. Happened to me in the past... paint everywhere!

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Ah! you where a whiter shade of pale. :-)

Reply to
ben

Cheers for the replies - will hang onto the gloss, at least, if not the undercoat (I'm short on storage space atm). You really store these upside down? Sounds like a good test of the fit on the can lid...

Jon

Reply to
Jon

nwoD edispU niT ehT erotS

Is as close as I can get.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

I just tip the tin upside down (so the paint seals any gaps between the lid and tan) before storing it, rather than keeping it upside down - seems to work pretty well.

Reply to
Rob Morley

^^^ tin, obviously

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , Jon writes

TBH, I don't bother with it, and I've opened tins after a few years and found them fine.

The reason is supposed to be to stop the skin forming on top of the paint, but modern paints don't seem to be so susceptible to this.

Reply to
chris French

Transfer of new messages isn't instant. Your messages were posted at about the same time - according to the message time, johns was 1 second before yours, though the NNTP server posting time is about 2 minutes earlier. So it appears in the thread before yours. Messages take time to travel between servers, sometimes never getting to some servers, and even when it is sitting on your ISP's server, you probably only check for new news messages every so often (mine does it every 10 minutes IIRC)

So you would not have seen johns message until after you had written yours

Reply to
chris French

In message , chris French writes

That tin I was using yesterday must be older than I thought then, had a wonderful crust.

Yesterday was so hot the paint was skinning up in the tin as I was painting.

Reply to
bof