Gloss Paint Removal on Wooden Door Frame

Hi All,

I'm just redesigning my bedroom at the moment, and decided the old original door had to come off the cupboard. I've decided to leave it "opened" planned, but have come across some problmes on the way. Basically whoever painted the door frame before hand, in white gloss paint, decided that they would paint ~around~ and ~over~ the door. The door itself was painted top to bottom with white gloss paint as well. When I removed it, there is an inch wide strip all the way from the floor, across the top of the doorframe and back down the other side, of unfinished wood, where the painter took a short cut and painted around it. Now I've taken the door off it looks very strange, also the layer of gloss paint is slightly higher than the level of the wood and it's looking real horrible!

Can anybody suggest a way that I can remove all the gloss paint from the doorframe. I was thinking of sanding it back with a belt sander, but wasn't sure if this was going to melt the paint. Another thought was to get my heat gun and a metal scraper and melt & scrape it from the wood. My only thought about this is, is it going to burn the wood beneath. If anybody could help me, it would be much appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Adam Prettyjohns.

Reply to
Adam Pj

Sounds like a chemical paint stripper might be the best option to remove most of the paint, then sand to remove final traces. There are some "eco friendly" paint removers around that are less likely to stain or damage the wood underneath than the older/corrosive types (local sheds should have a selection).

Start with a section that's going to be least obvious to the eye and see what the results are there before trying to do the complete job.

HTH Julian

Reply to
Julian Fowler