Moat construction problem

For the past three years I have been building an Anglo-Saxon castle in the garden of my house, using only traditional tools and materials.

Having laid the foundations and dug the moat, I would like to fill the moat so as to test its integrity (both of itself and against invaders) before progressing to erecting the walls.

I understand the traditional way of doing this is to tap a river or a stream, and supplement this with ox-drawn carts filled with barrels of fresh water. However, being in Brockley, I'm too far from the Thames to do this (a distance of about 2 miles as the crow flies). There are also no tube stations near enough for me to tunnel the water from there. While I think I could construct the necessary carts, I would not have the space in the remainder of my garden to rear the oxen to draw them. My neighbours have made some comments on the fact that I have begun rearing goats and some chickens to produce the considerable tonnage of dung for wattle daub I will need later on in the construction.

So I am considering using a Chinese technique from about the same historical era of using giant kites to lift Thames water into place above the moat and pour it in from there.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular technique (which, I understand, will require considerable resources and manpower to implement), or indeed defensive Angle-Saxon moat building in general?

Any advice much appreciated. And if you also have any tips for laying long-and-short quoins I would also be grateful as my initial attempts at this were not successful.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I didn't think the Anglo-Saxons went in much for castle building. I know they reused Iron Age and Roman stuff.

What does an Anglo-Saxon castle look like? Can you post your plans somewhere?

Henry

Reply to
Henry

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:13:42 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Jonathan randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You've probably gone into this already, but I think you should be aware that if this castle is more than 30m² in floor area or contains sleeping accommodation, you should have submitted a Building Regulations application. I'm not sure on whether you need Planning Permission too. A quick note shot through the window of your Local Council offices on an arrow would be in order, just to be on the safe side.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Jonathan wrote in news:42ee9e96$1 @news1.homechoice.co.uk:

Well, we have lots and lots of kites. I guess that they are English rather than Chinese. They are quite large but maybe not quite giant. And red. But I don't see how you'd train them?

Alternatively, you might fill it with Baileys. I'm sure that I heard something about that somewhere...

Reply to
Rod

Actually, I think you need to go higher than that. From a visit to Leeds Castle a while back, ISTR that if you want those fancy up-and-down walls at the top and cross-shaped windows through which to fire said arrow, you need a Licence to Crenellate available only on personal application to the Queen. The penalties for failure in this respect are somewhat higher than those for normal planning violations, as who knows what you are up to that needs these fortifications? Customarily, you would be invited on a one-way trip to examine the architecture of the Tower of London, entering by a special gate off the Thames reserved for such guests.

But no doubt you have all this in hand.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

I'm sure Part-P applies.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

A likely story. The Saxons didn't build castles. I suspect you are actually a Norman in disguise.

Own up.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Please use only sticks and mud for your castles, do not use rock or metal of any kind. You do not need a moat or any other defences. We shall visit you as soon as our boats are ready. We will come in peace.

Greetings fra Juteland. Eirikur Vikingurinn.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Wrong newsgroup. You want stationary engines, obviously.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I know it's the oldest underground railway, but it's not *THAT* old!

Reply to
Robin Mayes

I suggest you contact the Ministry of Defence. They have recent experience of using moats to protect buildings, although these days they are designed to look like ornamental lakes.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>" I suggest you contact the Ministry of Defence. They have recent experience

Having just watched Top Gear and the driving of wheeled vehicles across Icelandic lakes the MOD may need to reconsider using water for protection.

Reply to
dennis

Are you familiar with the expression "sitting ducks"?

Reply to
Rob Morley

You will need CAA approval for any flying machine over 25kg weight loaded.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You will probably need a permit to abstract water for moat-filling.

I would suggest you compromise on authenticity a little and get one of those self-powered whirly-kites used to drop water on forest fires.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

ISTR that Jeremy Clarkson in a Range Rover failed to outrun a Chieftain tank in an earlier programme and that was with cover available.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon. hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

Oft Scyld Scéfing sceaþena þréatum monger maégþum meodosetla oftéah· egsode Eorle syððan aérest wearð

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Great suggestion, to fill it with Baileys.

Then he'd have a Moat & Baileys Castle.

It is the way I tell 'em.

Chris.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

If he follows standard procedure and builds it out of wood while the motte settles, it is a temporary building. ISTR that you don't need planning permission for this.

When the final phase is complete, and the keep is rebuilt in stone, any visit from the council can be repelled using boiling oil and archers [1].

Bob

[1] Not Archers the tipple, bowpersons (thinking of the Baileys subthread).
Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Would "3 in 1" be an acceptable oil, or do you require some form of animal fat? Spose it depends on the BCO?

Reply to
John Rumm