Coffin Tank - Ballcock noise

I fitted a new 18"x19"x64" ScrewFix coffin tank in my loft. The water system works fine apart from the noise made by the ball-c*ck when it shuts off the water. As the actual water height is about 15", in the tank, the rate of change of ball-c*ck angle is very slow. Is there a better type of ball-c*ck that will shut off faster?

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groups x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

Yes, try a Torbeck valve.

This has a balanced diaphragm arrangement and switches off positively at a certain point rather than slowly, making lots of noise.

Screwfix part 14716, also widely available at sheds

There is a similar product made by Fluidmaster as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Torbeck (trade name of an equilibrium valve) silent or pretty damn close but make sure that your overflow has enough capacity as they fill faster than a normal ball c*ck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You are supposed to restrict the inlet flow to what the overflow can take.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

No shit, Sherlock.....

Now then, we need a volunteer to see how well the DIY endoscope in another thread will work.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yep.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Siamp is another brand that does the same ting...

Reply to
John Rumm

The three restrictors are there to cope with a range of supply pressures. To much restriction they fill painfully slowly to little and they go BANG whne the shut off to quick.

The instructions state to check that the overflow will cope.

The only way past my kill file...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are plenty of other quiet valves, including traditional pattern valves wth better silencing pipes or spraybars.

Personally I fit Torbecks for toilet cisterns, where the cistern is emptied then re-filled, and refill speed is useful, but I don't fit them to header tanks.

A Torbeck needs no bigger overflow than any other ball valve. Even for a Croydon valve, the overflow _should_ be (but rarely is) capable of dealing with the full flow. If you get a sunken float or similar, the overflow flowrate is lots more than a simple worn washer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have fitted two with a 22mm supply on a Fortic combination cylinder with the cold tap supplies off the tanks too. The cold tank does not run out of water when fast filling a bath and othetr taps are also drawing off water. No need to have large cold water storage then.

That is what I always use 1" plastic overflows and not 3/4. 3/4 is a waste of time.

Reply to
Doctor Evil