Bosch dishwasher

When we were looking at DWs the local appliance dealer said he no longer carries Bosch. Too many service calls.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

by was mine quite, so quiet i couldnt hear it running.

the downside of this? to do any work on it it had to come completely appart, out of its cabinet.

the solenoid valve was the only part that could be replaced, without total disassembly.

a friend has a appliance repair business, he wouldnt work on them.

best move i ever made was trashing it. the scrap yard got nearly all plastic. almost no metal in the entire unit

Reply to
bob haller

Too high end appliances tend to give more headaches. Our mid-grade Bosch DW is still doing a good job. No trouble yet.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The first and maybe the second are reasons why there needs to be a float to stop overflow, but not reasons why it couldn't also detect normal water level.

AND WHY ARE TWO LEVELS NEEDED? Why isnt' the level for not overflowing onto the floor the same level needed for operation?

Once they put a float in, they're going to use it for every purpose it will work for. My clothes washing machine has 4 or 5 water levels and the same float is used to regulate all of them, with just different sets of contacts or something.

Dishwashers use much less water than a clothes washer, so it would be absurd to use a timer to measure input, because water pressure varies from city to city, house to house, and within a house based on what else is on, washing a car, the sprinklers outside, someone filling a bathtub. A float, which directly measures what is to be measured, is the only reasonable way to control water level during operation.

That doens't mean the float itself is the problem, but if it leaked and allowed water to get inside, that's bad. Or maybe it's physically stuck and doesn't move well.

There doesn't seem to be an electriic switch on the same chart as the float (though maybe they are on other pages) but if the float directly controls a mechanical valve, maybe the valve is full of crud somehow (unlikely) but more likely it might have a small stone from when people outside worked on the pipes. Because the builder used the wrong kind of the water mains here, we have leaks every 5 years, and they warn us to flush our pipes to get the stones out. They mean for us to use the sink, not the DW or CW.

This assumes there is an electric solenoid somewhere else, which turns off the water for certain when the dw is not on. And I'm sure there is.

Reply to
Micky

Ours is going on 10 years old now without a single problem. It's the quietest DW I have ever heard. People standing next to it don't even know it is running until water drains into the garbage disposal.

Reply to
Pat

One reason to have two would be that if one detects normal fill and the other overfill, then two sensors would have to fail for the unit to overflow onto the floor. With one float doing both, if it gets stuck, no backup. But IDK how they typically do it either, which is why I raised the question of how she's sure that the float that's there is to detect overfill only. And I didn't understand the answer.

I agree that I doubt they just time it either. But there are other ways besides a float, could measure the flow rate, use an optical sensor, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

From what I've heard they are the quietest out there and very seldom need repair. When they do, the repairs may be nasty - I don't know.

I'd sooner buy something that doesn't need repairs than something that was easy to repair and needed a lot.

When I was looking to buy my wife's car my brother said "buy a taurus" Then he said "but not the 4 cammer".

I asked him why and he said"they are a B%&#Ch to fix" I asked him which he sees more of for repairs, and he said "the vulcan"

I bought the 4 cammer.

Reply to
clare

I've got an 05 Taurus with the Vulcan. The only engine problem I've ever had was a fried intake manifold which was caused by a excessive back pressure from a clogged cat. Not really an Vulcan engine problem at all.

Oh yeah, and then there was the time the car started to accelerate on it's own. Not "Holy crap! Hang on!" acceleration, just a slow gradual acceleration without having a foot on the gas pedal.

It turned out to be a disconnected cruise control cable as shown here:

Once again, not a Vulcan engine problem per se, but a fairly common problem with the Taurus from what I understand.

I wonder 2 things about your brother's comment:

1 - How many more Vulcans vs the DOHC vehicles are out there?

2 - What kind of repairs was he doing - actual Vulcan engine repairs, or things like mine which were not really engine problems, but happened to Vulcan-installed vehicles. (Still problems, yes, no argument there.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actual vulcan repairs. Timing cover oil leaks. Coolant leaks at the timing cover, head gasket problems, camshaft sensors, and a batch of bad cyl heads that had valve recession problems requiring head replacement. They also had some oil pan gasket problems.

Definitely not a BAD engine, but not as smooth as the cammer - and the cammer seams to have fewer problems.

Yes there are more Vulcans out there than Duratec 30s - but he did say there were fewer problems on the Duratec, but when yhey have problems they are no fun to fix.

I had a Duratec25 cammer in our last car - a Mercury Mystique, and it was a great engine. Jammed in under that hood REAL tight, but of the problems I had with that car, other than a vacuum leak none were engine problems.

Reply to
clare

It's kind of funny about our Taurus.

When it was SWMBO's daily driver, we always took *my* vehicles on long road trips, like to visit the girls at college or holiday visits to the parents. Even when SWMBO went on a trip alone, she either took my vehicle or we rented something for her. My vehicles were always newer and perceived to be more reliable than the Taurus and one major repair, especially away from home, would have been more expensive than a rental.

Then we bought a used car for one of my daughters because she needed it to get to her job when she was home from college one summer, with the expectation that she would take it back to school with her. Well, that car turned out to be a real POS so we gave her the Taurus to take back to school and bought a newer car for SWMBO.

Well, it's been almost 2 years now and the Taurus has made multiple 1000 mile round trips to and from college and currently gets driven about 250 miles a week because of my daughter's college internship. It's got about

150K on it now and still going strong.

So much for avoiding "road trips". ;-) I like to think that we saved it for her by not taking on any road trips with it in the early years of her college experience, even though that was never the plan.

Reply to
DerbyDad03