BD, pick up the phone

I hear Zimbabwe is trying to recruit white farmers.

Reply to
Neill Massello

YW :-) I know you enjoy your flirtation with automobiles! When we first 'met' on Usenet we discussed you possibly importing an old Rover - remember that?!!

Reply to
David B.

You are a Brazil Nut (or so you claim!). Do you REALLY think someone is going to believe you, rather than me - a UK citizen *AND* a retired Independent Financial Adviser?

Get real - and get your facts straight too! :-P

David B.

ROFL. You'll find he's quite full of it.

Reply to
Diesel

ROFL. Except, that you, personally, didn't build it. You *bought* it already built. There *is* a difference.

Reply to
Diesel

*NOT TRUE* Please familiarize yourself with the FACTS!

David B.

Yep! They have very interesting lines. There is one other British car I like but just can't put a name to it. It was used as a drag racer in the 60's and 70's and as a street hotrod. "Wheeler Dealers" had one they built up and it looked real cool.

This is it...

Naturous

[....]

My first guess was that it's a pre-war Ford PREFECT

Substantiated here!

David B.

Following tread, I have a friend retired from 19 years in the US Navy that gets a pension. He then went to work in industry, is 67 years old and collects US Social Security. He's still working too.

Maybe there is also confusion in pension vs dole in UK. Those of us in US think that everyone not working in UK is on the dole?

Reply to
Frank

Close but the name is "Anglia" made by ford.

Reply to
Naturous

The top pay out is $194 US per week. Much less than what you can get here from SS. My wife has not worked for 50 years and gets more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oops! ;-)

You are right!

David B.

Well, that simply is not true, Frank!

I'm delighted to advise that I have NEVER been 'on the dole'! :-)

Reply to
David B.

Whereabouts is "here" Ed?

I'm pleased for your wife, regardless!

Reply to
David B.

I'm not sure that what you claim is true, Dustin.

Reply to
David B.

I hope so. I heard one time that folks considered terrorists if they stayed in UK went to UK and got the dole (welfare). Also a colleague working there told me he could live nearly as well not working.

Then there was a German that I worked with in the US got transferred around and back to Germany and was riffed. I had recommended him doing some consulting for the US and he said it was not worth his while as it would interfere with government unemployment.

Reply to
Frank

In the US. Our Social Security payout is wage based to a maximum of $2635 a month. You spouse can collect 50% of that even if she has not worked enough to qualify for her own.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Damnit. I might have to stop watching that show, since you like it. ROFL :) I'm just kidding with you Naturous, so, no need to be a condescending prick with your reply...

Reply to
Diesel

Thanks for the info.. Seems inordinately generous! ;-)

Reply to
David B.

The employee and the employer both pay 6.2% of our income into it. What we paid in over the past 54 years will take me 18 years to get back. If I live to 84 I roughly break even. If I was single and no wife to collect it would take 27 years for payback. Doubt I'd be here to 92, but possible.

These are rough numbers based on today, not considering changing rates, inflation, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski