ripe bananas and insects

My landlady a) believes in washing -- I think she means rinsing -- bananas. She thinks there are bugs living in the top of the banana skin, where all the bananas meet. b) also believes that when they get ripe, soft, and then overripe, they attract insects. I thought they attacted bugs all the time and if you kept the doors shut and screens on the windows you woudln't have any. But she wanted to throw away one of my bananas when I thought it was fully edible. c) also believes that if the banana skin spends time a bedroom, even if sitting on a ball of scrap paper, all of which will be removed in a few minutes, the smell remains and insects will be attracted. I figure that the insects aren't stupid and if they do get to the room and there are no bananas, they'll look elsewhere, and not build a home in my room.

Please comment on a, b, and c. General comments like "She's crazy"** are not too helpful. I'd really like to know if you think there is any truth to any of these things. (I just ate the overripe banana but you can also mix it with milk or milk and icecream and if you have several you can make banana cake.)

**She also today said that if I closed the car windows and turned on the AC, the bees wouldn't get in the car. I've been riding in cars for more than 60 years and I've never seen a bee. Not only that, we were going to a nursery that sells plants and flowers. If anything, that's where the bees will be, and there weren't any there!

Also wanted me to close the windows when the car was parked, so a bee didn't get in while we were in the plant store (most of it outside).. I'll admit that everyone else does that but there was a nice breeeze and when two opposite windows are open an inch or two, the car doesn't get hot. Why doesn't everyone know this?

Reply to
Micky

A. Any fruit may have larve on it, unseen but not all that often B. The riper, the more odor, the better chance of attracting bugs. Many places in Europe have no screens on windows. C. Not sure, but lean in your favor.

In 55 years of driving. maybe one bee in the car. Even though I rarely open windows while driving as I have good climate control and little noise, I open them a bit when parked in the sun. That can make a 20 degree difference in half an hour.

Some people just have their little kooks I guess and you won't change them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Because not everyone leads a full, rich life like you do.

Reply to
dadiOH

I'm sure you're right, but thinking about it some more, I've had thousands of bananas, quite a few of which got disgustingly ripe, and I've never seen a bug on them. For 11 years I lived in an apartment with no screens, and I'm not diligent where I live now.

She has new windows, new sliding glass doors, with beautiful screens, maybe the nicest I've ever seen. (slide smoothly, very quiet, window latches with no effort.

I thought so.

I only have 6 more weeks here. ;-)

Reply to
Micky

I used to not know this stuff, but then I got a job with the Associated Press and I've been all over the world, and I know now that open windows make it cooler in the hot sun. They even said this at AP orientation. :-)

Reply to
Micky

A clear case of banana envy.

Reply to
Neill Massello

what are you and your landlady doing with a banana in your bedroom?

Reply to
fred

The usual.

Reply to