Anyone versed in 8mm projector repair?

I recently got my parents' 70's era GAF 1788 Z dual 8 projector out of mothballs. The old main drive belt had gotten hard and broke so I replaced it but it's still having problems.

The problem is that when in FWD, the drive wheel isn't being pushed into the driven disk edge on the inside end of the takeup reel spindle, ergo the takeup reel isn't turning.

All the O-ring type belts are in good shape, the gears/pulleys are all sound, the rubber on the edges of the nylon drive wheels is good, I don't see any broken springs etc. The projector actually has very little use, it was only used a few times, hardly enough for anything to get worn out. I've studied the mechanical configuration of this thing until my eyes are blurry but can't see why it's not behaving correctly.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Reply to
Doc

Replace ALL the rubber drive parts. They have dried out and hardened. No amount of cleaning or smearing with chemicals will make them work properly for more than a few minutes.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

(1) Good 8mm projectors sell for cheap on eBay, like $10 or $25. Not worth much to attempt repairs.

(2) Have your movies converted to digital video.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Probably some surface has dried out oil, and is sticking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon