8mm angle bead

I'm having a first go at skimming plasterboard this weekend but I think I may have ordered the wrong angle beading from screwfix. I had a choice of two - a 2mm dry wall bead or an 8mm angle bead page 38. One seemed too big the other two small so I opted for the 8mm on the basis that I will be doing two coats of skim. Can someone please tell me which one I should've ordered and whether I could still use the 8mm beading around a chimney brest?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Curtis

On further investigation it appears that the 2mm is used for skimming. I've also read that for high quality finishes a bonding coat of 5mm and a skim coat of 2mm is used, so is this what the 8mm beading is used for?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Curtis

You have the wrong one if you're skimming plasterboard. Where I come from the correct bead is called board bead and it looks as though the 'dry wall' as it's called in the screwfix book is the correct one for you.

If you're using a base coat, e.g. browning or bonding, then you want the angle bead (which is what its called here too).

If you put 8mm of skim on, regardless of the fact it's two coats, you're asking for problems....8mm of Carlite Board Finish is probably impossible to do in two coats anynhow. You'd probably need six - at least!!!

Are you plaster boarding the chimney breast too, if so have you built a frame or are you dry lining it?

Regards

Patrick

Reply to
Meoww

Patrick

I've dry lined it. I did think about doing a bonding coat but Screwfix are taking the 8mm beads back for free so I'm going to order the smaller size then do the two coats of board finish, when my goldtrowel plastering video comes!!

Thanks for your help

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Curtis