How do I plaster external angles?

I'm a bit confused about how to plaster external angles. I know I need to use angle bead but I'm not sure how to go about applying two skim coats so that I finish flush with the bead.

Is this the right bead to be using:

what's the technique for applying the normal two skim coats and finishing flush?

Also the angle is on a door reveal so I'll be plastering a width which is less than the width of my trowel. Is there a technique here too?

Thanks for any help

P.S. If anyone knows a website with a video demonstration of this please let me know.

Reply to
clangers_snout

you are only using finish coat, yes. E.g. on plasterboard or reskimming. If you nail it on, particularly near a window, make sure you use nails which can't rust. I don't nail at all normally, but just put some plaster in the channel, and push into place, with the plaster ozing out through the holes and held in place by suction, and avoid disturbing for 5-10 mins.

If you are doing scratch (undercoat) plastering too, then you would use

the scratch coat.

When you are applying 2 skim coats, the first is scraped on flush with the peaks of the underlying surface, which will be the flat perforated sides, not the raised edge. Second coat is flush with the beading edge.

You can get tiny trowels, but for the narrow strip, I would probably try and get away with one coat, depending on the underlaying surface. When plastering on to plasterboard, it's often possible to get away with one coat anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

tp://

Thanks for that Andrew. I thought about it a bit more after I made this post and generally came to the same conclusions you have suggested but it's good to hear a second opinion...cheers.

Reply to
clangers_snout