Plastering over old plaster with external corners

I am planning on skimming over some old plaster. The area is a pillar which jutts out from the wall and has some "external" corners with corner beading on. The plaster at the corners is ok but I intend to cover the whole area with new plaster. Will it be ok to skim or should I either put on some more corner beading or chisel out to the old beading and use that?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
dp

To avoid the problem of forming the corners you could skim the sides and finish them flush with the existing plaster at the front, then when that's firmed up skim the front and finish it flush with the new plaster at the sides (or vice versa).

Reply to
Rob Morley

This pillar sounds like it is a box section with electric wiring behind it? Don't really know the situation but i had a box section jutting out one corner of an alcove and really look awful, so I got plaster board and brought it level with the box section and then skimmed over it giving the alcove wall a flat appearence.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

But if I understand you right, that's going to end up with new corners which have no beading at all (well, buried beneath a layer of skim actually at the corner) so will be very weak and prone to knocks.

Not sure what the answer is TBH. How about attaching more beading over the old, providing it wouldn't mean the new skim layer would have to be exessively thick?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I don't think it would be /very/ weak, but it certainly wouldn't be as robust as corner bead. Are these corners actually exposed to much wear?

You could cut out the old beading and fit new, so the skim depth was right for the rest of the wall.

Reply to
Rob Morley

the corners are in the hallway so they might take the odd knock. I think I'll just try and keep the skim very thin.

Reply to
dp

False economy that, skimming a very thin plaster coat where it takes a knock.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's much easier to plaster when using beading, so unless you are already a good plasterer and compitent to do corners without beading, I would suggest you attach plasterboard beading strips to the corners. I do this just by running a line of plaster down the back of the beading strip and pushing it onto the corner. It might not be easy to nail on through the existing corner beading without making a mess of the surface.

Reply to
andrew

I've had quite a lot of corners to redo, recently. Expamet corner and stop beading was the choice, and I secured this successfully by means of a cartridge glue product called 'Sticks Like Sh*t', and use of parcel tape strips to hold beading in place for the ~hour this glue needs to 'go off'.

Reply to
bilbo*baggins