Metal plaster corners

Hi,

I notice in B&Q where they sell the plaster that they sell these metal mesh corners in a variety of different sizes. Am I right in thinking that you place these on, naturally, corners and then plaster over them to give crisp hard edges to walls?

If so, how do you fix them and I also see that they come in a variety of sizes - how do you judge what size you want? Are they a necessity?

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
Janek Czekaj

Hi Janek,

If you're wet plastering the walls then these edges are great. If you're just sticking plasterboard to the walls then they are useless. They are fixed any way you choose to under lying structure, i.e. if it is going on to brick or masonry then it needs plugs and screws, if it's going on a timber or aluminium stud partition then it is just fixed with dry lining screws or nails.

Are you thinking of giving the wet plastering a go ? If you are, good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Yep, I am thinking of giving it a go.

message

Reply to
Janek Czekaj

Then fit these strips around all the corners first, unless you have to apply a bonding coat to brickwork first, and they will give you a good depth gauge to work from. If you're only skimming on top of plasterboard, choose the very shallow cornered ones. You'll see the differences between them.

Reply to
BigWallop

The straight ones are for large joints in and around masonry and things or for fitting around unusual corners. They have all types in varying corner profiles, so choose the one you need carefully.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks...

Is it considered dated then to put vertical battens down a wall, say about

2ft apart and use these as guides for plastering? Once you have plastered inbetween, you removed the battens and fill the batten holes with plaster?

J.

Reply to
Janek Czekaj

It's still a good way to start. It does give you a depth to work to on the rest of the wall. A long straight edge (timber or metal) also helps.

Reply to
BigWallop

Think in the days of the wooden beads they used a different sort of plaster - less brittle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman