Fridge/freezer compressor runs nearly all the time

I have a 14 year old De Dietrich 7451.B fridge/freezer. It is built into a fitted kitchen, using the correct De Dietrich kit.

I notice that the compressor runs nearly all the time and barely keeps the fridge compartment below 6C. On a hot day it struggles to keep it at 8C. The compressor isn't excessively noisy - in fact, it's quite quiet. The fridge/freezer is defrosted and the kitchen is ambient temperature is normally below 22C. The vents at the bottom and rear aren't blocked.

I don't recall the compressor running so much when it was new and think the problem may have been getting progressively worse over the years.

Any ideas? Low refrigerant? Compressor fault? Either way it doesn't sound like a DIY job. Any idea how much it might cost to fix?

Reply to
Typo

From your description it does sound as though it needs recharged with refridgerant. Check that the unit turns off by turning the internal 'stat down to almost off and wait a little while. A look in the yellow pages will give you a few local names and it works out a lot cheaper than a whole new fridge.

Reply to
BigWallop

Sounds like loss of coolant.

Just to re-charge the coolant should cost about £40.

But to locate and repair the source of the leak will cost allot more.

If it is loss of coolant, it may not be cost effective to have it repaired.

If it's a frost free model, it could be that the cooling element at the back of the freezer has iced up.

This can occur if the freezer has been over filled and the airflow round the freezer compartment has been restricted.

It could also be that the de-frost heater has packed up.

Take out the contents of the freezer compartment and should see a removable panel at the back. Remove it and look at the cooling element. If it's iced up, try playing a hair dryer on it the de-ice it. Be careful, there is a glass vial which is an over temperature cut out. This is a safety device which cuts out if the defrost heater stays on too long. It's not re-settable. Keep the hair dryer away from this.

Bill.

Reply to
BillP

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Being built-in (by someone else) it isn't a simple job to look around the back. I'm tempted to leave alone and see if it gets any worse - I've had too many experiences of a little job turning into a major crisis! Downside of that approach is the electricity consumption and wear and tear on the compressor if all it needs is a bit of gas. Think I'll sleep on it.

Reply to
Typo