Plastering over Lath and Plaster

I am in thinking of fitting plasterboard over the top of existing lat

and plaster celings in a house that is 170 years old. I did consde removing all the old lath and plaster, but now believe that this i very messy, time consuming and not necessarily needed. Has anyone an expeience of carrying out this type of work

-- David Callister

Reply to
David Callister

If its the down stairs, there's not a lot of dust and dirt. If its an up stairs ceiling in to the roof space, you can expect a hell of a lot of thick black dust, soot, birds nests and any roofing material left in there. You will need to open all windows and tape up any doors to stop the dust from escaping. You will need a tyvex suit face, head and eye protection and a very good dust mask. A large quantity of strong waste bags. Don't attempt to take the whole ceiling down in one go. Leave the exit clear for emergency escape. Pre book the shower in advance. Oh just in case, empty the room before you start.

Most just over board.

Reply to
keith_765

Just board straight over using 2" screws so they find the original joists. Minimum mess, minimum time. I've done this on countless occassions and can't think of a downside.

Reply to
TonyK