Lath & Plaster ceiling repair help please

Hi,

Just removed an internal wall and am now looking to repair the ceiling.

The ceilings that I hope to join up are in good condition. They are lath and plaster and about 2" thick!

I was thinking of trimming to the nearest joists and securing plasterboard to the joists. Perhaps two thicknesses? And then plastering.

The thing I am worried about are cracks appearing along the join of the plasterboard and the existing ceiling. Due to the thickness taping is not possible(?)

Any suggestions?

TIA Colin

Reply to
Colin

In article , Colin writes

Why not do the job properly with lime plaster? Its a much more suitable material for d-i-y use as it stays workable for anything up to 24 hours and you can pick the bits up off the floor (as long as its clean) and still use them - try doing that with gypsum plaster!

John

Reply to
John Rouse

If you keep the edges of the plaster damp they shouldn't crack back. Also, if you overlap the new plaster on to the old plaster for a couple of inches and polish it over with a wet brush and a plaster float the cracks shouldn't appear at all.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks I'll try that.

I was really thinking of cracks appearing after it has dried and the children start jumping around in the bedroom above. I may be just paranoid, but I was wondering if there was a technique to ensure that the join between the old and the new plaster didn't crack with time...

Colin

Reply to
Colin

I'd say if you awant a 'period'look then use new lathe and lime mortar.

If you want it smooth, do as you describe. lay a layer of lining paper or indeed scrim over the over the finished joint, and skim.

Any cracks you do get can ultimatley be scraped out to a v notch, and filled with decorators caulk and re-painted.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher