Moving a projector in a school

We wanted to move a projector & interactive board from one room to another. The caretakers have said they'll move these so no problems there. However the new location doesn't have a spur for the projector coming from the mains. Would it be acceptable to put an extension lead in trunking coming from the projector back to a normal socket on the wall? Could the audio/VGA leads be included in this same trunking or should separate trunking be used for that?

Reply to
J Barron

Hmmm! what sort of caretaker is he? my knowledge of school caretaker is they must have basic knowledge of woodwork,electrical,heating ect,ect to be employed as one.

Reply to
George

If you like working elsewhere.

If not then ring the proper department to arrange for an assessment to be done and the work carried out and then examined and signed off.

Remember common-sense ceased to be a working factor in schools some time ago. :))

Reply to
EricP

Assuming the caretakers are up to the task..

Is it acceptable to house the cable as described?

Reply to
J Barron

?

That was what we were trying to avoid!

Is there a problem with a caretaker carrying out work on-site that doesn't involve any proper electrical work? Would the extension back to the socket not suffice?

Reply to
J Barron

Well I suppose you could be in a merciful LEA and they substitute castration for sacking. :))

Remember you are in a zero-tolerence zone, particularly if in a primary. It's all inspection/certificates so blame can be passed on and on. All hail the rules and avoid being sued at all costs.

If the caretaker has the appropriate electrical qualifications and is approved to do the work. :)

Depends which LEA you are in. Here trailing leads, are out. Covering them compounds it because you introduce trip hazards into the equation. You really have no choice in following the laid down path and apply for a solution to the problem down the proper channels.

If the bod comes and says "use a plug bar", then you are ok.

Reply to
EricP

Are electrical qualifications necessary to run an extension lead in trunking back to a socket?

I appreciate the dangers with training leads, but they wouldn't be used in this case. We planned on running a 5m extension from the projector on the ceiling back to a wall socket (in trunking). Does this break any regulations?

Reply to
J Barron

In article , J Barron of snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk, felt we'd be interested in the following...

I'm pretty sure this has been done at our college.

Plug into socket on the wall, run cable through trunking to where projector is, socket on end of cable for projector to plug into.

Job done.

I don't see where there is any H&S risk, but I'm not qualified to tell you if it's against regulations.

FWIW, I'm not the one who installed it, i've simply observed it.

Reply to
Tx2

Just which bit of 'get the LEA to tell you how the work needs to be done and by whom' don't you understand?

Put it another way. If a child died as a result of your actions your only safety net would be 'I followed correct procedure and I have the paperwork to prove it' Without that where would you be?

It really does not matter what anyone on this newsgroup thinks would or would not be ok. It is what the current regulations of your LEA say that count

By the time I left teaching some years ago teaching staff were not even allowed to wire or rewire a plug on any piece of equipment to be used in the building (and some were actually teaching pupils how to wire plugs as an approved part of the curriculum)

Any extension lead used in the building had to have an annual safety check by an approved company along with every other piece of electrical equipment in the building.

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Someone with electrical qualifications shouldn't be running extension leads in trunking. Flexible extension leads are not intended nor suitable for this use. Running it in trunking would mean it would not be accessible for visual inspection, and might affect its thermal rating.

This is a workplace, and the Electricity At Work Regulations will apply, and as has been said by someone else, schools are "zero tolerance" when it comes to safety.

Yes. It is using an extension lead for a purpose for which it is not intended nor suitable.

Furthermore, audio/VGA leads MUST NOT be run in the same trunking unless they are insulated to mains standards (they won't be) or separated by an insulating barrier i.e. multi-compartment trunking.

The possible legal ramifications of any accident occuring are so serious that it would be unwise to get at all involved.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , TMC of snipped-for-privacy@anon.co.uk, felt we'd be interested in the following...

Not entirely accurate.

We (that is our site manager) carries out PAT testing on our campus. I've even done some myself, and I'm not an approved 'spark' by any stretch of the imagination.

The college used to have a firm come in and do it, but they chose to buy the testing kit and do the job themselves.

Reply to
Tx2

The mains should be in trunking of it's own, this is standard practice.

The white boards/projectors in our primary school seem to be a mix of dedicated fixed wiring (mains and video) and cables stuffed in trunking as you describe. Most of the dedicated stuff is no longer used due to the numbers of pupils declining and the school combining year groups into classes, freeing up at least two former classrooms.

Personally I can't see anything wrong with it provided you use a decent quality, ready made, extension lead (unmodified) of ample rating, it is after all going to be enclosed not in free air. And fuse it at the minimum that the projector will allow, even if this means a 13A rated cable with a 3A fuse.

How your LEA views things is another matter entirely and TBH is the only thing that counts when push comes to shove.

I don't think our school caretaker does much more than cleaning. He cerainly doesn't unblock the blocked gullies at the bottom of down spouts or repair broken guttering. All basic, unskilled, building maintenace.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:20:46 -0000, Tx2 mused:

If they're not using trained operatives to do the testing they may as well save a few more quid and just buy a roll of 'passed' stickers every 12 Months.

Reply to
Lurch

As a primary school governor, I'd say that was good advice.

I'm pretty sure there are good reasons to avoid using extension leads ( static or otherwise ) on whiteboard projectors ( extra connections, oxidisation of terminals, arcing etc.), and with bulbs costing several hundred quid a pop ( 'scuse pun ) I'd want to see a 'suited and booted' installation. I wouldn't be too happy at the prospect of just anyone hefting a couple of grand's worth of kit about without having the necessary insurance/qualifications.

It's also sod's law that the *very* nice man from Ofsted will point a finger up at the projector and say "Have you got the paperwork for this installation please?".

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

In article , Lurch of snipped-for-privacy@sjwelectrical.co.uk, felt we'd be interested in the following...

That would probably be illegal.

Reply to
Tx2

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:37:46 -0000, Tx2 mused:

Not overly convinced on the legality of just buying a PAT tester to avoid paying a trained person to do the job.

Can't see a great difference tbh.

Reply to
Lurch

I'd recommend you get an electrician to fit an extra 13A socket on the ceiling adjacent the pole and plug the projector in directly - cost about £100. What you do with the VGA and audio cables is up to you. Make sure the projector is adequately fixed so it doesn't fall on someone's head.

Never ask too many health and safety questions, it's like a game of pedant top-trumps with who can find the most inventive reason not to do something simple.

Reply to
SteveT

An extension lead in a school should have a (visual) safety check far more frequently than annually.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , Lurch of snipped-for-privacy@sjwelectrical.co.uk, felt we'd be interested in the following...

Of course there is a difference.

The PAT tester records the test, and cross references asset and test numbers; thereafter the result is uploaded onto a computer, and the record is kept in line with legislation.

Sticking a sticker on without testing is quite clearly falsehood.

I'm confident our site manager is operating within the law.

In fact, legislation seems to say:

"The IEE Code of Practice states, those carrying out the inspection and testing must be competent to undertake the inspection and, where appropriate, testing of electrical equipment and appliances having due regard of their own safety and that of others."

Our site manager is certainly competent, as are members of our IT Team.

If you can offer legislation which states someone must be specifically trained, certified or whatever is required, i'd be interested to read it.

Reply to
Tx2

How hard is PAT testing? (serious question)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George