Moving a projector in a school

Robert Moir wrote:

Since this is cross posted to an education group, I am surprised that this poster does not know the difference between an ass and an arse :-)
Dave
Robert Moir wrote:

Isn't there a better way of stating Portable Appliance Testing testing?
Dave

Not really :-(
It's a bit like AC current, IF frequency, etc...
--
Frank Erskine

Dave wrote:

I don't know. Why don't you try saying it out loud with and without the redundancy at the end and then come back and tell us which feels most natural to you. If you have time out of your busy schedule of nit-picking that is.

<snip>
As a primary school governor, I'd say that was good advice.
I'm pretty sure there are good reasons to avoid using extension leads ( static or otherwise ) on whiteboard projectors ( extra connections, oxidisation of terminals, arcing etc.), and with bulbs costing several hundred quid a pop ( 'scuse pun ) I'd want to see a 'suited and booted' installation. I wouldn't be too happy at the prospect of just anyone hefting a couple of grand's worth of kit about without having the necessary insurance/qualifications.
It's also sod's law that the *very* nice man from Ofsted will point a finger up at the projector and say "Have you got the paperwork for this installation please?".
Regards,
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
TMC wrote:

An extension lead in a school should have a (visual) safety check far more frequently than annually.
Owain
J Barron wrote:

Someone with electrical qualifications shouldn't be running extension leads in trunking. Flexible extension leads are not intended nor suitable for this use. Running it in trunking would mean it would not be accessible for visual inspection, and might affect its thermal rating.
This is a workplace, and the Electricity At Work Regulations will apply, and as has been said by someone else, schools are "zero tolerance" when it comes to safety.

Yes. It is using an extension lead for a purpose for which it is not intended nor suitable.
Furthermore, audio/VGA leads MUST NOT be run in the same trunking unless they are insulated to mains standards (they won't be) or separated by an insulating barrier i.e. multi-compartment trunking.
The possible legal ramifications of any accident occuring are so serious that it would be unwise to get at all involved.
Owain
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:31:35 +0000, J Barron wrote:

The mains should be in trunking of it's own, this is standard practice.
The white boards/projectors in our primary school seem to be a mix of dedicated fixed wiring (mains and video) and cables stuffed in trunking as you describe. Most of the dedicated stuff is no longer used due to the numbers of pupils declining and the school combining year groups into classes, freeing up at least two former classrooms.
Personally I can't see anything wrong with it provided you use a decent quality, ready made, extension lead (unmodified) of ample rating, it is after all going to be enclosed not in free air. And fuse it at the minimum that the projector will allow, even if this means a 13A rated cable with a 3A fuse.
How your LEA views things is another matter entirely and TBH is the only thing that counts when push comes to shove.
I don't think our school caretaker does much more than cleaning. He cerainly doesn't unblock the blocked gullies at the bottom of down spouts or repair broken guttering. All basic, unskilled, building maintenace.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I'd recommend you get an electrician to fit an extra 13A socket on the ceiling adjacent the pole and plug the projector in directly - cost about 100. What you do with the VGA and audio cables is up to you. Make sure the projector is adequately fixed so it doesn't fall on someone's head.
Never ask too many health and safety questions, it's like a game of pedant top-trumps with who can find the most inventive reason not to do something simple.
SteveT wrote:

There was a warning issued in Lancashire about that last year, so I assume it was issued country wide.
Dave

What sort of warning?
SteveT wrote:

It looks like some installer had fitted the projector into a plasterboard ceiling and it fell off during a weekend.
The warning came by a fax from (?) county, I think.
All the projectors at the school I worked at conformed to all safety checks.
They are proposing to install another system in a portacabin. I wonder how they will make that one safe?
Dave
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:31:35 +0000, J Barron

I work in lots of schools and see a fair few installations that have been done like this. I'm not sure it is the best way of doing it but plenty of people have done it (generally where things have been moved unofficially by the school staff) and ive not seen anything go wrong with it yet!. I've seen everything in the same trunking too and it works fine (it 'works' but may not be sensible!).
My company do board and projector installations. We get a sparky in to run a proper fused/switched supply up to the roof next to the projector. It wouldnt cost you much to get this done.
I'm assuming that you also do not have asbestos in the ceilings like most of the schools round here too!