Americans and extra words

Why do Americans add extra words (especially in say an instructional video) like "now what you're gonna wanna do is open the door" instead of "open the door"?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because we know Brits might eventually see them.

Hey, we still are sore at you for Jane Austen. At least the guys are.

I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.

? Mark Twain - Letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898

Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded.

I hope you receive this letter in good health. I did mean to enclose that five dollars I owe you, but I'd already sealed the envelope.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Twas not! It was making the point clearer, like the word "very". You did something stupid (and broke your finger) is not the same as you did something very stupid (and blew up a small galaxy). Anyway, the yanks added SIX words.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You must not have many female friends.

Things you will never hear men and women say to each other:

Woman: you were right.

Man: you were right. I was wrong. I am sorry I argued the point with you.

Notice that one was more wordy than the other?

Women process emotions by talking. I would posit that they use 5 times as many words as men.

And coincidentally how a woman knows a man likes her. He puts up with her talking.

This has a very simple reason, a man has a more powerful brain and can explain concisely.

Look at left wing politicians, a whole page to say "yes".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not necessary so and you just admitted you do ot have a lot of female friends.

A man's brain is compartments. They pull one out and examine it one at a time.

A woman's brain is like an information super highway. each section is connect to every other section. And processing at full speed. It is powered by an energy call emotion. And they process this energy with talking.

And this is why woman are capable of multilevel thinking that men can not touch. They are great in war rooms and with the stock market.

That is called "Obfuscation". Politicians are legendary for it. Brits are no exception. And they seldom actually answer "yes" or even "no" to anything.

The YUGE reason why Lefies HATE Trump with such a passion and normal people love him so much is that he says what he thinks directly. He is not a politician. Orwellian "Double Speak" is a tool of the Lefties.

Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often for the same reasons -- Mark Twain

I did nothing of the sort, how did you draw that invalid conclusion?

Emotion is illogical, which is why they do stupid things. It's also why animals do stupid things. Funny that.

ROTFPMSL! Your sarcasm is excellent.

But not just when answering questions, when a left wing politician (right wing are nothing like as bad) tries to make a point, he witters on and on, and if you break down what he said there's only one single point in there.

Indeed! That's what I love about him (apart from his beliefs), he gets to the point.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We thought Brits were more verbose:

I believe their standard paper length is two extra inches like our legal paper where, as we know, lawyers are more verbose.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Those look like geeks, not normal people.

Dunno, we use A4, same as any metric country I think. Foolscap (hat for idiots?) is longer and used to be used in the UK back in the times of Kings, and I think might still be used for the legal "profession".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because you do not realize how they think and speak

Be careful. They can sus out a rat a lot faster than a male can.

I was not being sarcastic.

Be careful again. Smart women can think circles around men. And dumb men are so stupid they think these women are actually dumb, much to the amusement of these women.

A dumb woman, on the other hand, is a waste of a perfectly good human body.

We all have noticed that.

1+

A true friend doesn't require I understand them.

Best to go out with a lower intelligence woman who just wants wild sex.

It is not. They are sex objects and great fun.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn that was fun!"

Women like strong silent men. They think they're listening.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

Oh they know we are pretending to listen. They just tolerate it because we are cute.

Indeed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey

But sometimes they embed a question in the middle of it. Like "Is it ok if I buy a Ferrari on your credit card?" If you're just saying aha, aha, aha, aha, you get ripped off.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh no fooling. They know just when to spring it too. They "know" when you are just pretending.

I can not tell you how many times I've asked my wife what I just agreed to.

That is funny!