Air conditoner breakdown

We have a two-year old Sharp air conditioner. It was working perfectly before we went on vacation. When we returned, although it hadn't been used even once, only the fan would work and the unit wouldn't cool at all.

What might be the problem with it?

Reply to
Howard Sage

Could be lots of things. Compressor, capacitor, thermostat, sensor for the thermostat, switch. Is the temperature hot enough for the compressor to run?

It is out of warranty. Even the sealed system is only covered for parts, not for labor. If it cannot be easily fixed, it is probably cheaper to trash it and get a new one. The tough part is that you may have to pay a charge to find out it is too expensive to repair.

If you know a little about electricity you may be able to find the problem by using a meter. But then again, if you had a multi-meter and knew how to check you'd probably not be asking here.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Howard Sage" wrote

Went on vacation and didn't take him with you???!!!

You son-of-a-bitch!!!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

With luck, it will be the same thing that happened to mine. Not much older than yours, compressor wouldn't run at first use this spring. Was found to be one of the cartidge fuses (in the box by the compressor) had blown for unknown reasons.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Was the compressor running?

Reply to
Darrell

Yes, the compressor was running. Suggestions? Thanks to all of you for all the helpful advice, including the vacation "hint." :-))

Reply to
Howard Sage

Turn thermostat knob clockwise. Check selector knob, point arrow to "HI COOL".

Quite seriously, I do know of folks who had AC "broken" with these being the problems.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, my last message was based on it being a window shaker.

If it's central AC, my answer would have been different.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon