2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC300 annoyances

I recently got my mother's 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC300 SUV since she can't drive anymore. It has 15K miles. These are the things I've discovered about it:

-- It has no spare tire, just run flats. This is a problem for me.

-- It gets serviced every 10K miles (eg. oil changes, etc)

-- Service is very expensive regardless of dealer or independent mechanic.

-- There's no oil dipstick, just electronic gauge.

-- Using remote start requires a yearly subscription around $150.

I've looked into buying a spare doughnut tire ($400-$500) but there's no place to put it. The trunk floor cutout has been removed.

The wheel lock wrench was missing, which I had to buy around $50. This car doesn't have lug nuts, it has lug bolts!

The manual doesn't give normal oil viscosity options, it has cryptic MB codes for oil type (229.51, 229.52, 229.61, 229.71). It looks like the Florida dealer was putting 5W-30, but the dealer here in Virginia says

5W-40. Then there's the issue of Low SPAsh type oils which I don't know how to find if I want to do the oil change myself. Who knows if the dealers were even using that...

Its three year warranty is nearly over so I bought an extended warranty knowing MB unreliability and costs. Personally I'm a Toyota/Lexus guy. My wife drives this car.

For those of you with cars which have similar shortcomings, what have you done to get around these?

Reply to
badgolferman

I would never buy a car like that. If given to me I would trade it off for the Toyota or another brand. Cars like that are made to be traded off every 2 to 4 years. Status symble and no one buying them new would have it more than 2 or 3 years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sounds like a real money pit! Although you've already sunk some of your own money into retaining and maintaining it, those are sunk costs, and the sale value of the car still leaves you far ahead of the time before the gift. If your mother gifted the car to you and is of sound mind, my impulse would be to thank her profusely for her generosity, but explain to her that the car just isn't practical for either your or your wife's life style or value system and offer to give it back to her to gift to someone else. If she insists that she want you to keep it, tell her you intend to sell it and offer to return the proceeds to her. If she declines, tell her that you and your wife will use the proceeds to buy a car of your wife's preference for her use. If your mother is no longer of sound mind, I'd just sell the car and your wife can get something more practical for her use.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Thank you for reminding me why I drive a Hyundai Sonata.

You can buy a stud that goes into one of the mounting holes so you can hang the wheel and start the bolts in other holes.

You may be able to get an aftermarket remote starter installed, about $300 to $400 depending on options.

Reply to
Ed P

Wow. I wouldn't like that either.

Double wow.

Triple wow.

More wow.

What do you get when you remove a cutout?

I've heard of that. I think there is some reason for it. but I use the studs to haag the tire in place before I bolt it on. I guess I could get one bolt in place without too much trouble.

That I think you can get:

searched on low splash, but this semi-hit doesn't have those words, but it does have the mercedes logo embossed in the bottle.

What is low SPAsh engine oil? Low SAPS oils are formulated to have lower levels of Sulphur, Phosphorus, and Ash, which are known as “ash-forming” elements. These elements can have a negative impact on exhaust treatment systems, such as catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters (DPFs) in modern engine Oh, it's spash, not splash! I copied and pasted the search terms above, from your post, and didn't notice that.

What type of oil should I use for Mercedes? Mercedes-Benz motor oil | Mobil™ A full range of Mobil 1 motor oils are ideal for Mercedes-Benz vehicles, having been tested against motor oil specifications for Mercedes engines. We offer: Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 advanced full synthetic motor oil approved against Mercedes-Benz spec 229.71.

I don't warrant this but here it is:

They're known to be unreliable too? My gosh!

There is an advantage to a company that makes many 100's of thousands of cars. They can take the time to solve shortcomings.

That's sounds fair. Let her change the tires and look for the spare.

The toyota requires (they say) special red antifreeze, so I buy it at the dealer. That's as far as I've had to go.

Reply to
micky

I think it's good for Bad's wife to keep looking for that spare. It will keep her mentally alert.

Reply to
micky

From what I hear German cars may look and handle well and engines hold up but with age rest of the car will deteriorate and become an endless money pit. They are only good to own if you live in Europe where parts and labor are cheaper.

I read that vehicle also has a turbo charged engine which means more potential higher repair cost.

Today, if it were me, I would sell the vehicle and look at a Toyota.

I drive a Subaru Crosstrek which I could service but it is not expensive at the dealer.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

There is no such thing as a cheap German car - even if you get it for free. It's like owning a CERTIFIED airplane. Rich Man's Toy.

The runflats and no spare is a big nothingburger. I have not used the spare on any of my last 6 or 7 (at least) cars. Actually I think I'd have to go back about 20 to my '63 Valiant. Almost needed it on the PT cruiser but made it to a service station before the tire went totally flat (due to a bad valve stem) All other flats occured while on my driveway so I just pulled the wheel. threw it in the other vehicle, and took it to the dhop for repair.

The special antifreeze is available in Canada at any Canadian Tire Store - for any make. CTC also carries oil that is spec'd for the German cars.

Anyone who thinks he's a "somebody" needs to owne one Mercedes, one Audi, one Porsche, and for good measure one Jag in his lifetime. Generally ONE is ENOUGH if he's at all smart - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Olden days stories :

My brother-in-law had a nice company bonus, < late 70's >

and treated himself to a new Alfa Spyder < early 80's >

... except for the name-badge it was a pretty ordinary car. Fit & Finish was average at best. Driva-ability was poor-to-average. < terrible sloppy clutch-tranny-throttle feel >

He was always careful about parking lots - - the one time he was keyed he was in the back-40 all by himself .. and some idiot decided to key an Alfa - just for fun .. He owned it for ~ 3 years and was glad to see it gone.

Mid 1990's - a co-worker was a Volvo guy - - a real Volvo guy - despite his family wagon needing premiium gas ; and ~ $ 400. service appointments ; < oil change & tire rotation & fluid levels ? >

.. never mind. John T.

Reply to
hubops

As I used to counsel my corporate clients before I retired:

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money making it."

Reply to
Colour Sergeant Bourne

Agreed. When I was stationed in Germany, quite a few of my friends drove BMW's, which were available cheap after the original owner had them for a few years. They burned oil and broke down often, but hey, look at me, I mean look at them. I can't point fingers, though, since I drove an Alfa Romeo at the time.

I was thinking the same. I haven't used a spare tire since forever, maybe the early 1980's or late 1970's. I wouldn't care if there was no spare.

One of my sisters lived in Germany for most of her adult life and they always drove a new-ish Audi, so when they moved to the States she naturally bought an Audi here. I think she paid for that car at least twice, once when she bought it and again with all of the repairs. Now she drives a 15-y/o Subaru, which hasn't been perfect, but it doesn't cost Audi bucks.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Never found that with my 73 VW Golf which I did drive for

40 years and only replaced because I stupidly never did anything about the known windscreen leak until it had rotted out the floor and I couldnt be arsed to replace.

Only real cost was the alternator diode pack and indicator relay which didnt cost much.

Apparently the ones sold in the USA were much worse with bits falling off, because they were made in Brazil.

Not true of VWs which have always had very cheap parts from Brazil.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Bullshit with the VWs

Reply to