New Year's Quiz 2020!

Greetings, Gentlemen (and/or Pammy)

What with all the overflowing seasonal goodwill and whatnot over the last couple of weeks I thought it would be a bit of a hoot to hold a New Year's quiz. The question - and there's only ONE - is WHO is the colourful character being remarked about in the Youtube quotes reproduced below? All the quotes shown are sequential as displayed on YT. They have not been edited in any way except to obscure any clues as to the identify of the colourful character concerned. Can you, dear reader, work out who the remarks are aimed at? I'll give you all ONE rather obscure clue and that's *all* you're getting!

"Va gur HX, hayvxr gur guveq jbeyq, jr qba'g znxr vzcbegnag qrpvfvbaf nobhg gur shgher qverpgvba bs gur pbhagel onfrq ba jub unf gur ybhqrfg zbhgu."

Now, here are the quotations:-

So, let's ditch democracy and have a shouting competition instead.

He's quiet now democracy is ours BREXIT!!

BECOUSE he is a brain dead remoner like the rest

Piers Morgan: "I'm gonna end this man's whole career!"

This man needs to be sectioned under the mental health act. His behaviour to Brexiteers has all the hallmarks of a nut case who could turn violent after the recent 2019 election result.

***** **** - off you go boyo, you may get a few bob for your megaphone on eBay but we have achieved exactly what you failed to do - BREXIT.

This prat has wasted three years of his life and achieved absolutely nothing apart from making himself look like a total fool, he should of been arrested

Well 'The messenger' was sent a message on December 12th. Bye Bye.

There are a few things overlooked here, like where this guy is from. Why is this important, simple, there is no way this person can financial do what he is doing on his own wage, or even with backing for his local community. The ***** is not one of abundance when it comes to personal finance.

Some people seem to think that by shouting the loudest they can get their own way, rather than using the ballot box.

AHAHAHA!!! HES AWFUL QUIET NOW! YES!! NOW HIS DREAM IS DEAD! CRUSHED BENEATH OUR COLLECTIVE HEELS!

I am *****, I'm unemployed, fat, loud, a social justice warrior, and I only understand democracy when who or what i vote for wins

"STOP REMOANING!!!"

"Plaque cards"-Has the poor chap got B.O.? He did well on 12th December-969 votes when he stood as a ****** MP Candidate in *****

******! What else does he do-hope he has not been claiming Benefits for the duration of his "Activism"
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

BC perhaps?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

well, are you going to tell us?

or did I miss it?

And FWIW they didn't achieve absolutely nothing, they forced us to accept a worse deal than we might have got had they not continually tried to spike the negotiations

and they are still doing it, so that we'll get a worse trade deal than we might otherwise get

all so that in 5 years time they can say "told you so"

tim

Reply to
tim...

In message <quho3c$9s5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, tim... <tims_new snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Snip

Is this the first anticipatory excuse?

Happy New Year

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well, you can find out by searching which candidate got 969 votes on

12th December (there was only one as far as I can see. His initials - as I pointed out in my reply - are "BC").

And if you want to see what the "obscure" message said, you can use this website to decode it:

Jeff Layman

<snip>

The prat in the hat.

Reply to
Jim White

by searching 650 different constituency results

gee thanks

tim

Reply to
tim...

Hmm. Problem...

I had used Google to search for the terms: 969 votes 12 december general election (region UK)

The fourth hit was

, for the Ashfield constituency. Searching the page for 969 found "Bob Charlesworth". But the BBC in their wisdom had included the results for the 2017 election - and that was where the 969 came from. I'd missed it was a 2017 result.

So I searched for the full results of the 12th December general election. The third hit was:

At the bottom of the page is a link to an Excel spreadsheet with results by candidate. On loading that I sorted column "O" (number of votes) to find out which candidate got 969 votes. So what's the problem? Well, according to that spreadsheet there were *no* candidates who got exactly

969 votes!

I now await Mr Doom's clarification...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Let the latecomers have some fun first.... ;)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That was the 2017 election, not the 2019.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which interestingly enough fails to get the correct cypher match (because the sample length is too short) - even though it correctly maps all the characters actually in the cypher text.

(rot13.com will give a simpler answer!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I get exactly the same answer from both. What did you get from guballa.de?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

As indeed I pointed out in my reply to tim... at 17.17.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The decrypt was the same, but the key it presented was not quite ROT13 - some of the mapping for characters not used in the original cyphertext were incorrectly mapped (which is not surprising really, since it would have no way of testing those)

Reply to
John Rumm