septic tank regs 2020

Can anyone explain to me in very simple terms what the new septic tank regs are?
I have been looking on you tube and found a site which said all old eptic tanks have to be replaced regardless of how they work.
Then someone said it was fake information. But I cannot find out whats correct and what is not.
Have we all got to spend 15K replacing septic tanks, even when they work perfectly? Really? Why?
We have to replace our septic tank because the drainfield is clogged and it s discharging dirty water into a farmer's ditch.
Else £30,000 fine is possible.
But its shared and the neighbours wont agree on anything
[g]
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 5:14:03 PM UTC+1, april showers wrote:

egs are?

tanks have to be replaced regardless of how they work.

rrect and what is not.

perfectly? Really? Why?
On 27/07/2020 17:13, april showers wrote:

how come when I eat a Herring I always think of septic tanks...?
On 27/07/2020 17:13, april showers wrote:

You need to have a tank meeting modern regs which is almost always an active bio-stirrer one IF YOU REPLACE A TANK. But no building reg has EVER been retrospective.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think you can't sell the property until it complies.
On 27/07/2020 18:06, Andy Burns wrote:

I think you can, actually.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ok, if it doesn't comply, you can only sell it if the buyer agrees they will be responsible for making it comply ...
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:58:50 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

always an

reg has

Rejected by the seller as there is no legal requirment for anything to be changed. Mortgage company might try an insist but that is the buyers problem not the sellers.
ISTR that the requirement for a active system only applies if the out fall is into a water course, even for new/replacement systems. A drainage field is not a water course.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 6:06:59 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Indeed we cant sell our properties until the septic discharge into the ditch is solved.
Maybe by auction?
[g]
On 27/07/2020 19:49, George Miles wrote:

How many times can the £30,000 fine be levied ?.
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 5:51:20 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not selling my house. I have no thoughts of same.
I am not replacing the tank at all, as I said it works.
I do not discharge into a ditch or a water course in anyones field or anywhere else. The drainage field runs across my own garden and leaches out . No water course anywhere.
So, the You tube stuff doesnt apply then?
On 27/07/2020 19:28, april showers wrote:

leaches out where ?, and after a winter like the last one, most water ends up in a water course somewhere.

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 12:43:00 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

Nowhere, its a drainage field and a soak away into the middle of my lawn.

You reckon? I dont know. Thats why I asked. The You Tube thing said 90% of septic tanks were illegal and had to be replaced and if you didnt the liklihood was that someone from the council would come and stick a notice on you and cost you even more money.
As I said, my tank is no trouble. It works ( its a 1950's concrete chamber job, never even needs emptying as was the received wisdom of the old days).
I just saw this thing and I couldnt make any sense afterwards. It came up on one of those You Tube algorithms . I dont know why.
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:49:10 -0700 (PDT), april showers
<snip> >As I said, my tank is no trouble. It works ( its a 1950's concrete chamber job, never even needs emptying as was the received wisdom of the old days).

You say it never needs emptying. How do you know? Everything that goes into a septic tank contains a small amount of bio-indigestible stuff like grit or whatever, that slowly builds up over the years. Our tank, about the same age as yours, would have about 8 - 12 inches of this stuff in the bottom when it was eventually pumped out every five years or so. The more sludge you have in the bottom, the less free volume there is for the digestible stuff to be digested, so the shorter its residence time in the tank, and you end up sending partially-digested sewage into your drainage field, which will eventually block it and render it inoperable, requiring replacement, and today that means a whole new Klargester-type system.
Get yours pumped out, even if only to see just how much sludge is in there.
--

Chris

the 2015 regs are retrospective int he sense that if your tanks dont meet modern regs (like ours which discharges dirty water into a ditch) then you have to get it sorted.
A similar retrospective law was the anti smog laws where londoners were told they couldnt burn coal any more
and the EU anti pollution laws which finally cleared sewage from British Beaches
[g]
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 5:51:20 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 27/07/2020 19:47, George Miles wrote:

And Part 17/18 electrics that are needed if you want to let the property.

"if you have a specific septic tank that discharges to surface water... "
"you are required to upgrade or replace your septic tank treatment system to a full sewage treatment plant by 2020, "

"if you have a specific septic tank that discharges to surface water... "
because someone in power said so
so...how far does a septic tank have to be from a dwelling and how far from a public sewer do you have to be these days to be allowed a septic tank..?

How do you mean "how far from a public sewer do you have to be these days to be allowed a septic tank"? Are you saying that if there was a public sewer running past your house, you would even *want* a septic tank? They are a solution of last resort when there isn't a sewer nearby.
As regards "how far does a septic tank have to be from a dwelling?", is the restriction where the tank is/are, or is it where the outflow is? Is it legal to have a tank within about 10 feet of part of the house, but the discharge is about 50 feet away?