Garage to Septic tank distance?

I am proposing to build a garage. There is a septic tank in the vicinity. To comply with Blg Regs., what distance should I allow? If it is too much then the project is a non-starter.

mark

Reply to
mark

I don't believe there is a regulation distance for non habitable wotsits.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But you shouldn't build over either the pipework or the drainage field.

Reply to
dom

Although the pipework always has to get from inside a building to the outside world - I don't think that's so much of a problem so long as there are access points for cleaning. Agree about not putting anything over a drain field, though (and if building above pre-existing pipework there are probably ways and means of doing it so that the pipework isn't damaged even if the foundations settle a little).

Guy next door to us has a tank about 8' from the outside wall of his workshop (but no drain field, just a tank) - no engineering problems anticipated in doing that, but that is in the US where there are no building regs to worry about.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

so what are those "building codes" I keep reading references to on websites etc? are they just advisory?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Good point, if it's not covered by B.Regs then there isn't a minimum distance. Thanks.

mark

Reply to
mark

Another good point. I'm new to septic tanks so hadn't even thought about 'drainage field' implications. The proposed garage would be beyond the septic tank relative to the house so wouldn't conflict with the input pipe. I'm thinking along the lines that if I put down a concrete raft foundation then it wouldn't interfere with any drainage field pipework.

mark

Reply to
mark

In the US? It varies by state and by county and by township etc. - where I live, there's no planning permission and no building code at all.

There are other codes to be followed, though; anything I make has to follow the state-wide fire code (dictating things like window sizes in habitable basements etc.), and the electrical code is a major pain in the backside (because for anything non-trivial I have to buy a permit in advance and then pay an inspector to sign off on it afterwards). For a septic system I don't need a permit, but I am supposed to get it inspected by an approved contractor after install.

It can be confusing at times knowing what rules apply - but OTOH I suppose the nice thing is that I *can* do all the work myself if I want, even if I still have to pay in some situations to say I'm doing it and then get it inspected afterwards.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

If you use a biodisc type tank, then there is no need for what I presume a 'drainage field' is: i.,e. some sort of soakaway.

Dump straight into a ditch.

AFAICR when I installed my Klargester unit, it merely had to be a certain distance from the HOUSE.

Apart from normal flow slopes etc and rodding points at the kinks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just be careful if at some time in the future you decide to have an inspection pit for working on the vehicle.>

Reply to
Roberts

mark :

We've just built a garage about a metre from a septic tank (further from the paths of the inlet and outlet). The question of proximity never arose.

Reply to
Mike Barnes