String Trimmer Recommendations

Sears sells a high-wheel string trimmer that would do that job well. (1) It's wheeled, so you don't have to carry it; and (2) The string is always at the same height. I use it in an area with a lot of trees and shrubs where my lawn service won't cut the grass, and where I'd have trouble with the lawn tractor.

It uses replaceable string sections rather than a "tap" system, and it uses a large-size heavy duty string. If one of the two strings breaks, it's easy to fit a new one onto the clip.

The two disadvantages ares that you can't turn the head 90 degrees to do edging.and if you're in an area with a lot of vines they sometimes can wrap around the spinning head. -- Regards --

Reply to
JimR

I will have to look for that Sears product. thanks !!

James

Reply to
James

I Googled the Sears trimmer and got info, but that 76 lb item is MUCH to heavy for my steep slopes. This could not be used for my pupose.

Thanks !

James

Reply to
James

135 degree hedge trimmer attachment is what you're looking for. Don't have one so you should test drive one before purchase.

Reply to
** Frank **

Thanks Frank !!

James

Reply to
James

STIHL FS 55 straight shaft with the easy starting feature is tough to beat. It will take a plastic bladed head that may do better for you than string. It will also take some metal blades with the right deflector.

The string snaps off usually at the eyelet. This happens when you use more than the last inch or so for trimming. you don't have to push the string into the grass. Just use the last inch or so. That last inch has the most power because it is at the fastest moving part of the string. Also string dries out and if you are using old string it becomes more brittle and breaks more easily.

Reply to
JD