String trimmer frustration

Can anyone offer any suggestions for the purchase of a decent brand of string trimmer where the line doesn't keep jamming? Or a suggestion to keep the line from jamming? I have tried everything from throwing away the half-full reel because I can't get it to release more line over and over again during a weed whacking session. I've re-wound the reel also but nothing works. It'll work beautifully until I need another shot of line but it always gets stuck. Mine is a Toro 15" electric trimmer.

Reply to
ctlady

I have an Echo SRM-2200 trimmer that I bought over 20 years ago. Gasoline powered. It has a double-string bump feed head, and it has worked flawlessly since I got it. (But right now I have it replaced with a small lawnmower blade.) The string is kind of hard to replace, but the .095 string lasts a *long* time between refills.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I have the Echo GT 200i... has the simplist, idiot proof string loading system. You can buy the precut strings or cut your own from a bulk spool, I cut my own from a bulk spool... slip a few in my pocket and head out to trim. The Echo 200i is powerful, very light weight, and easiest starting.

Click on image 5 and then watch the video:

Sheldon

I have had a Toro electric for years, and never had an issue with it. Maybe you got a lemon?

Other possibility- could you be trying to cut too much at once? The things don't do well (especially the electrics, which I think are underpowered compared to the gasoline powered units) on really thick stands of grass or weeds.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It cuts well. It's the problem with the string on the reel jamming so it doesn't let out.

Reply to
ctlady

My solution to string that kept jamming was to use a heavier string. I'm using .095 string (I think - whatever the heaviest string you can use, that is what I'm using). All of my jamming problems went away. With the thinner string, it kept jamming in the reel when it was half empty. Try a name brand (even if it's expensive) heavy line, and see if that helps. If not, then it's quite possible there is something wrong with your trimmer. FWIW, mine is a Muculloch (sp?).

Reply to
Zootal

Thank you Zootal! I will try the heavier line. "Jamming in the reel when it was half empty" is definitely the problem.

ctlady.

Reply to
ctlady