string trimmer head replacement

I am considering trying out one of those weed whacker head attachments that replaces the string. I'm sure you have seen those heads that have two or three nylon/plastic serrated things that do the cutting instead of the string.

Has anyone used those and do they work well? Obviously they will trim weeds, but how do they work on edging and do they mar siding finish?

Reply to
badgolferman

I know the style you mean. It looks like a propeller except the blades are hinged so that they fold back when they meet a fixed object. My Stihl trimmer came with one so I have tried it. It is not good for edging. Edging means trimming the grass where it edges an object like a curb, tree or any fixed object. Those plastic blades, even though they are hinged, will not stand up long to being bumped against a fixed object. The blades can be easily replaced but are more expensive than string.

That type of blade is designed to remove larger weeds in an open area. They will damage your siding so keep your distance if you give it a try. Since it's edging that you need to do then an devoted edger would be the best choice. A line trimmer is what is used if yu don't have an edger.

Reply to
Lawrence

on 5/23/2007 10:46 PM badgolferman said the following:

I bought a weed whacker head at Lowes. It uses the weed whacker plastic string, but is not rolled up inside the head, but they do include some replacement string pieces. When you need to replace the string, you just put 3 new pieces in the head. After you run out of the string they provide, you just cut 3 new pieces of the string off that roll that you already have. Pull the old string pieces out of the head from the center of the head and thread 3 new pieces through the outside of the head. They are held in by a one way clamp. It takes less then a half minute to replace the string. I just keep a number of pieces in my pocket for that far away whacking. Forgot the name and the price.

Reply to
willshak