string trimmer line size

I can't seem to find evidence of this online or at stores, but iirc, weed whacker line used to come in a lot of sizes smaller than 0.065 inches.

Right now I have two very nice weed whackers, and inside it says to use 0.065" line, and I have a package of blue monofilament labeled .065, but it won't thread into the weed whackers.

I don't mind buying thinner -- I've been using thinner for years now, something clear, but it's almost gone -- but I can't find anyone who sells thinner.

Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Should I go look for fishing line for big fish?

Reply to
micky

Let me tell you from experience, kid. I have had half a dozen weed wackers.

A weed wacker that says it uses .065" line DOES use .065" line, it is just hard to get it to thread on there, or into those .062" holes they want you to use. Solution: either drill out the little hole a tiny bit, or take a sharp knife, and when cutting the line, do it on the diagonal so that it gives you a point to thread it into the little hole. Boring out the hole in the spindle on a .065" line so it will take a .080", or a .105" line is possible, but the motor will soon burn out.

DAMHIKT.

So, get you a sharp knife and trim on the diagonal, PLUS, take a little drill bit in your fingers and spin it in the hole a couple of times in case you got a booger in there.

Reply to
Steve B

ROTFLOL!! I enjoyed reading your great answer.

It won't actiually work for me, because these two trimmers have the spool up near the handle, and the line goes through a copper tube inside the thing, and where the tube bends, it won't go. It probably never worked with the right size line.

Reply to
micky

If that's the case, then thinner line won't help a bit.

The line is too flexible to allow you to impart enough force to "pop" it around the corner...

OR

The corner has a hole worn through it from the line spinning inside the tube.

Oh, and the tube is probably BRASS, not copper.

Reply to
mkirsch1

It does work with thinner line.

Thinner than .050 I think, but even Amazon doesn't seem to have thinner, and I'd be happy to use thicker anyhow.

Now a hole -- I've seen the tube -- but maybe a short dead end, that keeps it from bending.

Oh, okay.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
micky

I should have read your answer before I answered. I always forget to do that.

I've got lots of things to buy from Amazon, but I'm trying to make it

25 to 30 dollars, so I have things to buy the next time, to get the bill over 25 dollars again. :)
Reply to
micky

My gosh, was I confusing. Sorry. Amazon has .0050, which I think is thicker than what I had been using. The old stuff has run out, and I'm happy to use something thicker, like 0.050, and as long as it's thinner than 0.065, it will probably fit, since it was designed for .065.

Reply to
micky