String Trimmer Ideas

I need a string trimmer. That thing for cutting the lawn. Weed- eater, or whatever you would call it. (A regular mower won't work - the area is small, with slopes and sunken area, plus narrow paths between veggie beds.)

A NON-negotiable point is that it must be electric.

A saw a low-priced 18-volt cordless rechargeable at the supermarket recently. However, there wasn't even any clear indication of the manufacturer's name (except, "Made In China.") And that supermarket seems to be an outlet for some rather dubious, "fell off the truck" items, plus a poor refund policy.

So I am interested in comments about reliable brands/models. Including the question of corded or -less. I don't absolutely need a rechargeable, but it would be nice. And, avoiding the purchase of a heavy power lead would offset the price. OTOH, I want something reliable. And I have heard of issues with drills, etc, where a new battery cost more than a new whole unit.

Thanks...

Reply to
<usenet2006

I use both. The battery unit has a limited amount you can do before it needs a recharge, but so do I. It's useful for when I don't want to drag the cord a long ways to do a little bit.

Mine are made, or at least sold, with the name Black and Decker.

If the replacement battery costs more than the new unit, just get another new unit.

Reply to
Charles

I have had a Black and Decker cordless for two seasons. No problems with it as yet. I generally run out of power before it does, so I just plug it back into the charger and finish up the next day if need be.

Reply to
Freckles

Stihl makes a very good quality electric. Much more powerful than any rechargeable unit. Parts are cheap and readily available. This is not a disposable trimmer. They go for around $100.

Art

There's usually two or three 13-15 year old string trimmers, lawn mowers, whatever living within a mile or maybe two. Probably can get them to do the do the job for you, for the season, for about the same price as the Chinese junk under various brands. Use the spare time to fish, chase women, or whatever your imagination can come up with.

Reply to
john

The 18V B&D I have has been trouble free, feeds line well and is heavy duty enough for grass of all kinds and up to the 'medium' weeds and 'thin' woody vine-type stuff. Works well when postioned for edging too. While you COULD buy a spare battery (ebay ?) if the area is small ,as you say, you may be able to cut it in one charge, if not, the area won't grow much overnight will it? Just finish the next day. And if you have a lot of trees, gnomes, brick edging, bird baths, etc. - you will enjoy cordless power,

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Check the May 2006 issue of Consumer Reports for a rundown on all of the ins and outs of string trimmers.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

String trimmer to mow lawn sounds like a bad idea. I trim some slope areas but it is very uneven. I have all three type units. Battery is convenient for little stuff and wife can use it but $50 for a replacement battery means you throw away the unit and buy another. With any brand, battery will be first thing to go. Maybe you should look into getting a small, electric (cord) lawn mower.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Take a look at the Black and Decker battery model. My husband and I maintain a portion of the North Country Trail where electricity does not exist and the little Black and Decker does yeoman's work.

Ellen Michigan

Reply to
Ellen

Practice makes perfect. slopes are harder to do than flat, but if the flat area is very large it highlights problems. For a small area I would not hesitate. But I wouldn't do electric unless the entire potential area is a postage stamp.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

What is your objection to electric?

The reason I want electric is that I don't have any proper/safe place to store petrol. Not even the small amount in those trimmer tanks.

Reply to
<usenet2006

Sears sells a wheeled string trimmer that is very maneuverable, can be used for small area work, has been reliable for me for years, and you don't have to carry it around (which also means that it's cutting height is very constant). However, it's gas-driven . . .

Reply to
JimR

Speaking of Sears.. I bought my current string trimmer there -- it was a unit that was returned and refurbished.. I got it for a fraction of the "new" price (perhaps $100) and I've been using it for about 6 years now.. The string head is starting to get pretty worn out and will need replacement soon, but I can get those parts easily and since it's gas, it just keeps working.. Sure it's noisy, but I've never had issues with its power or anything like that. It usually gets used 1-2 times per month and hasn't let me down yet.

Reply to
Rick F.

I like my Black and Decker weed whacker but I have one complaint. The string in freaking expensive. I tried to use fishing line and tried to use electical wire and tried to rig something up using nails, none of these great ideas worked and actually they all kind of were dangerous. Any one have any ideas to reduce the cost of the string?

Reply to
BeaForoni

Personally, I hate dealing with recharging and the limited power available from batteries. I also hate dealing with extension cords of any length. I dislike the fumes from gas and exhaust, but not enough to mitigate the electrical issues. Oh, and I currently use a gas weed-eater string trimmer, and an electric weed-eater leaf blower (it was a gift). I'm pretty comfortable with my preference, but I'm also cheap enough that I haven't yet replaced the electric blower...

Which probably means your place is small enough that an extension cord wouldn't be an issue. Or to relate it to my previous post, it sounds as if you live on a postage stamp. :)

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Um, I dunno which model you have, but I rewind the replacemnt hubs myself from bulk 'blue' trimmer line.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan