Who's in love with their string trimmer?

Got a trimmer you've been really happy with? I'm leaning toward rechargable because I don't have outside electrical outlets and I don't feel like installing any. I have probably 300 feet of trimming to do, but it wouldn't matter if it didn't all get done in one session. Not interested in a gas trimmer.

Talk to me.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, I love my Shindaiwa T270, but it's gas. For cordless electrics I guess the biggest factor would be sticking with a brand that is likely to have parts available for it in a month or two, which eliminates a lot. Perhaps a Ryobi if they have one, since Ryobi is actually fairly decent for a lot of their stuff.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not interested in a gasoline unit eh? Well then you might just as well get a pair of sissors out....

Seriously, i'd look into the stihl fs-110

S. Barker

I had a Homelite string trimmer and hedge clipper set from HD with 2 batteries for less than $100. I would not recommend as one new battery from a nebulous internet source was $50. I hated to throw out two good machines.

Reply to
Frank

If you can find one that uses a Li-Ion batteries than that would be good but NiMh or NiCd would be heavier and hold less charge. OTOH a longer extension cord will solve the outlet problem.

Reply to
pipedown

I had a Troybuilt rechargeable. The battery would not take a charge soon after the warranty ran out. I would not buy another Troybuilt. We moved to an acre and have a gas trimmer now.

cm

Reply to
CM

I only need to trim a small property and have burned up a couple electric units over time. I would never own another one. I picked up a gas unit maybe 4 or 5 years ago and mix a fresh gallon jug of gas for it each year with quality oil and haven't had a problem yet. The gas unit is also a lot more powerful and the work goes even faster because of that.

Reply to
George

I'm seeing a trend in these responses: gas

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Weedeater, gas powered, paid $65. Running since 1992. Rechargeable models are just too weak and who wants to play with a cord?

Reply to
Phisherman

I have to agree. I have a Weedeater model, my neighbour has an older Weedeater model than mine (much older) and they both work beautifully. I have the model with the swivel head that makes trimming edges very easy. I wouldn't do without that.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

If you have a cord-powered electric lawnmower, you've already got the cord out, and it's already long enough to reach all of the corners of your lawn, so a cord-powered electric trimmer makes sense. That's what I have, and I prefer it to gas lawnmower/trimmer for the small lawns that we currently have.

For larger or complicated lawns, where a cord would be too much of a pain, I'd switch to gas-powered for both. But for a small simple lawn, I prefer the lower maintenance of corded electric equipment. (When I was still a teen and living at home, we always had 2 or 3 gas lawnmowers, and cut our lawn, our grandmother's, and our uncle's lawn. I have plenty of experience with gas mowers).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

what brand/model electric mower you have?

Reply to
me

I know you're probably sold on an electric trimer, DON'T. I did the same thing three years ago and only have a 1/3 acre lot. Just yesterday I ditched the electric and went gas. I was simply tired of dragging a cord around the yard, having it snare on trees, cars, shrubs, etc. From what I've heard the rechargables will last one season MAYBE two, and they cost pretty close to a cheapy gas powered one.

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

would your advice be the same for corded electric mowers as well?

Reply to
me

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's a much more permanent job.

Reply to
mike

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's a much more permanent job.

===================

Much of my trimming will be around the edges of a vegetable garden. Roundup is not safe for such use.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Oh brother. I guess you don't buy anything at the supermarket then.

Reply to
mike

Oh brother. I guess you don't buy anything at the supermarket then.

===========================

Like what (from the supermarket)?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I like the 4cycle gas ones. They go and go, don't use much fuel, start easily. I've been though cordless, replacement batteries nearly the cost of a new one, I've never been happier. The one I have is Ryobi, but they mostly seem to be of the same manufacturer, The Toros & several others seem identical other than color and markings,

Reply to
Eric in North TX

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote

ohhhh. Well, you know, I still think it would be worth the convenience of not messing with gas and not dragging a cord.

Reply to
cybercat