What size string for a string trimmer?

Somewhere I got the idea that each string trimmer was designed for a certain diameterr, but I have two on which I can find no recommendation. Maybe on one it was scuffed off when it was hit on the ground to feed more string, but I don't think so.

Is there a problem using string too thin? Or too thick? How do I know what to use?

Thanks.

(I'm either planning for next year or late for last year.)

Reply to
mm

BTW, I've googled them both already with no success, but the ones I have are a black and decker st6000, and a Sears 358.798020 . They are both electric, running off cords (the B&D seems to make one with the same model # that runs on batteries!) Although SearsPartsDirect is closed all night due to scheduled maintenance until 7:00ET, but I doubt it will give more than the same part list that other sites copy from its data, like with the Kenmore refrigerator.

Reply to
mm

light duty / medium duty string trimmers use smaller diameter line

I'm thinking .065", that's what my ancient weedwackers (electric) use

note part number

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

The more owerfulll the unit the thicker the string, my gas Echo it might be .130, its not auto fed, my Sthil if I use thicker than stated it wont feed, thicker string lasts longer instead of breaking all the time and wasting string but you can only use it so thick , then it wont feed right

Reply to
ransley

You should use the thickest that will auto-feed on demand. Thinner string both erodes faster in use and is more prone to jam on the supply reel.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

OTOH, for light grass, etc., instead of heavy weeds, it can cut faster and cleaner...

Reply to
dpb

They don't make it easy because they want you to buy a replacement spool.

I suspect the suggestion by bok is about right (.060, .065). If it feeds it is fine is also good advice.

Of course if you can find a tiny fragment in your yard a quick trip to the BORG will allow you to match the existing and new sizes.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

use the thickest that will fit in the hole you have to thread it through. (usually one size bigger than what it came with). Thinner will just last a shorter time.

Reply to
Steve Barker

No one has suggested looking at the booklet that same with the trimmer, commonly known as the owners manual. Try it. You just might find something there. OR, try the manufacturers website or maybe even a phone number in the manual or on the web site, or maybe a local dealer of the same brand of trimmer.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Valid advice if you bought the trimmer new, and can find the manual, or it still has a legible data plate to tell the model number. For those of us that buy lawn tools at garage sales for ten cents on the dollar, not so much. I know my electric trimmer is a Toro, but can find no trace of a model number on it. For the couple hours a year that I use it, the ten bucks I paid was the most I was willing to invest. I think I am using the HF 'universal' string in it at the moment.

Reply to
aemeijers

RTFM. Too thin, and it doesn't last more than three seconds. Too thick and it burns out the motor.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That's right. I know the model numbers but there are no manuals on the web, even for Sears and B&D. Now that it's not Saturday night and Searspartsdirect.com is running, it has a diagram and substitutes for most of the parts, and it has a spool with string available, but Colbyt is probably right, they dont' want to tell me the size.

I don't know where I got the idea that size was so narrowly defined. Probably from the manual for the first one I bought.

Universal string is good. You can use it for macrame and yoyos and marionettes and string theory, everything really.

Thanks all.

Reply to
mm

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

=3D=3D Most smaller B & D take 0.065 gauge string. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Okey dokey. I'm ready to go on two of them now. I may test them this evening.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

I realize this is nearly four years too late, but I was trying to determine the line size for my Sears /Craftsman 1/4 Horse Power Electric Weedwacker, model

378.798020 (12" Cutting Path) and was disappointed to see that the Sears site no longer had Owner's manuals available (most manufacturers offer PDFs of the manuals for free). I dug around and found that I had kept the manual (received in 1988). This model takes .065" diameter line.
Reply to
DavidK

Hi, MY B&D 20V battery operated one takes 0.06" on a spool.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

But not too much. I'm still mm.

Yes I did.

And I appreciate the help. I was trying to remember what all had happened since then....... But I can't. ;-(

Reply to
micky