Who loves or hates their string trimmer?

Buying a house, putting up a fence shortly thereafter, and that'll complicate things for the two adjoining neighbors whose lawns meet mine. It's now a seamless property line, easy to mow, and I'm gonna throw a stick in the gears. I promised the neighbors I'd manage the extra work. Time to buy a gas powered string trimmer. Looking for recommendations or warnings from those of you who are either VERY pleased with, or disgusted with your trimmer.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have an Echo SRM-2200 that I bought many years ago. I might should have bought the SRM-2500 to get a little more power for the same weight, but the 2200 handles everything I need it for (it didn't do too well cutting mesquite saplings, but I'm not sure anything would) It is still going strong, although I did have to replace the carburetor about 5 years ago after I gummed it up good using Homelite oil.

Just get something with a straight shaft (vastly increases the chance that you get a clutch and a solid driveshaft, not a flex shaft) that can take both metal blades and a bump-feed head with .095 string. Make sure it's comfortable to hold and not too heavy. My father bought a huge Echo trimmer and it's too heavy and awkward for any of us to use.

BTW, a metal "weed blade" is great for keeping the lawn under control during long rainy spells when it's too muddy to use the lawnmower.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Why gas?

I have a Robi gas trimmer and after spending more time trying to start it, especially the first time each year) I both a 18V B&D trimmer (came with a blower hand hedge clippers in a kit). It does not have the power the gas one had, but I will never try to start that gas thing again.

This thing has plenty of power and capacity. It came with three batteries and I can trim, and use the blower to clean up and even do some hedge trimming all on the same battery and so no sign of slowdown.

No more mixing gas, fighting with a motor that does not want to start. The new tools are lighter and much easier to use than the ones they are replacing.

Frankly I was very pleasantly surprised. I did not expect them to be nearly as good as they have been, rather I hoped I could get buy with them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I got a Homelite for free at one of the big box stores that is now out of busness (Builder Square? No, some other blue one I think). Free if you spent like $300 on other stuff that I needed anyway.

Anyway, its a gas model. Curved shaft. If I were shopping for one I would have gone Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna (Do they make em?), or Red-Max.

I keep waiting for this one to die so I can buy a real one. It always starts, cuts well and has served my purposes with regular use for 8 years. I never store it over winter with gas in it. The only thing I have replace is string and new knob on the head that wore out (About $5). No new plug, no tune-up, no carb work, not even a fuel or air filter.

I have used a nicely built Echo but now cannot get it started. Its not mine and hasn't been used much and has been stored over winter with gas in it. It will not start now.

So, my point is. Get one with the features you want and take reasonable care of it it should last a long time. If you get an expensive one and don't care for it it will become a boat anchor in a year or two.

My feature list for the one I will get when this one finally dies:

- .09 or better string size

- Brush blade option

- Uses same gas/oil mix as Husqvarna chain saw

- Fair availability of replacement heads since thats what wears out first IMO

-B

Reply to
Brikp

Roundup and a propane torch less work then a trimmer, My Sthil is rusting away an I dont miss it.

Reply to
m Ransley

No patience for extension cords, and I wasn't aware that there were rechargable models available. Haven't shopped yet.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

And you will soon find out that the string trimmer will beat on the plastic or wood fence posts to the point where they look really crummy. Of course, a chain link will not suffer that much and may be best for pet confinement. Some folks set their fence posts in top sloped concrete and avoid the trimming completely. IMO a string trimmer is an appliance from hell. My collection includes 2 cycle,

4 cycle, curved and straight shaft. All are too heavy, awkward, hard starting (except the 4 cycle), hard to control with any precision, only fit for desperation cases. YMMV.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I like a scythe, though around a solid fence it might be difficult.

If you have a field to knock down, nothing is more fun.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Roundup, 5 times a month? Only a lunatic would do that.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'm not real crazy about the idea, but neither am I thrilled with trimming along 120 feet of fence with scissors. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

No Doug roundup twice a year, beats the hell out of smelling 2 stroke and looks 10x beter when burned black. plus im a pyro

Reply to
m Ransley

I use it in some places, and generally it takes about two applications a year.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually doug there are stronger products then roundup, they keep new growth away for 1 yr. Now did I say 5 times a month, No .

Reply to
m Ransley

That's about how often I need to mow, for at least 4 months out of the year.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Is the result DEAD grass, or grass which simply doesn't grow?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It kills what you spray and doesnt affect other plants through the soil It kills grass and weeds, in 2 weeks they are brown and burn nicely. I have 70 trees and alot of gardens I cover plants with buckets and spray what i dont want weeds and all. Around trees i spray. After 2 weeks or so I use a propane cane- torch and burn everything dead. Its saved me 2 hrs of waisted work a week and looks better as a black edge. Before planting plants I spray then burn, easy and quick. Ive not regretted dumping my weed wacker, since its broke I dont care. Before roundup chemical soil migration was a problem , you could kill anything down slope. Its also rainsafe in 1 hr. If you want to try it concentrate sprayed through a garden sprayer is best. I use a slightly higher concentration , and big weeds need more than grass. But it can kill a tree if sprayed directly on it. Use when calm.

Reply to
m Ransley

Cutting grass 5 times a month? use low nitrogen fertiliser , or none.

Reply to
m Ransley

string trimmers are GREAT!! BUT!!! follow ALL directions regarding the proper mix, and particularly end of year prep so it doesnt rust in the winter or get clogged with bad gas. if you take care of it it will start first time, every time, for years to come. if you dont it will be dead in a year or two. and dont 'tap' it on cement or while you got the thing reved up. let it go back to idle, then gently tap it on the grass or some dirt.

also, keep an eye on the temp. check it every few minutes just by feeling it with your hand, and if you notice a big heat increase, stop using it for a while. they dont have the most efficient cooling system. ive seen them last 10-15 years by professionals in the lawn business that know how to take care of them.

so if you want my opinion, i suggest you get a lightweight 25 cc model (for about 60-70 bucks) and take care of it.

ps, i know you promised them, but i dont think you have any legal obligation to keep up their side of it.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

they seem to work long enough these days, you can get an honest 1/2 our out of them, but they are heavy. about as heavy as a 25cc gas powered one. and i suspect they wont last as long even if you take care of them.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I bought a Weedeater 14 years ago and it's still going strong. I turn the string vertically and slowly walk backwards for a perfect-looking lawn edge. You can damage tree trunks with a string trimmer.

Reply to
Phisherman