string trimmer features

I want to buy a string trimmer (gas) for my husband for Christmas. I don't really know much about them. My dad has an Echo SRM 260S and loves it, but he has 20 acres to trim. We have a small suburban yard, but plan to have more land eventually. I want to get him something good that will last for a long time, but I'd like to keep it as close to $200 as possible. I need recommendations on brands and features! I've been told that Echo and Stihl are the best, but they both have so many options! How many cc's? 2 or 4 cylinder? straight shaft or curved? Please help!

Reply to
katafus

If you have just a small suburban yard, you may just want to pick up an electric weed whip.

Go to your local library and look up "string trimmers", in the back issues of the latest issue of Consumer Reports.

Reply to
Joaquin Tall

I bought a Troy-Bilt straight line, 2 cycle trimmer for my son for Christmas as he likes mine. Cost about $130 at Lowes. We both have ~3/4 acre. I still use a small electric one for my front lawn, around my wife's solar lights, as the Troy-Bilt wacks them out of the ground ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

Go to a STIHL dealer and check out an FS 45 Easy2Start. If you are just using a string head, this will be all you need and if you use fresh fuel mix, it will last you a long time. JD

Reply to
JD

If you have 20 acres to trim, suggest you consider a high-wheeled trimmer rather than one you have to tote. Sears sells one that I've used that has held up well for 7 years so far, and I've seen advertisements for the DR brand, about which I know nothing. The wheeled trimmers are light-weight and easy to use. I bought mine because I had too much trimming to do to have to carry the trimmer everywhere. The wheeled trimmer is a great labor-saver since I just have to push it, not carry it. For 20 acres I'd buy nothing less -- Regards --

Reply to
JimR