unrepairable lawnmower what would you try next

This is a Toro self propelled recycling lawnmower, 6.5 HP. I don't know ho w old but it looks practically brand new.
The symptoms were: hard to start, dies right away. My brother took it to h is repair shop twice, they claimed to fix it but didn't, he gave up and bou ght a new one.
So I took it to my repair shop, one I have confidence in, and paid to have it fixed for the third time last season. I used it for about one tank of g as before winter, I ran it dry of course.
This weekend I put in fresh gas. It started on the second pull. And died before I got about 20 square feet of lawn mowed. Same symptoms as before. It starts and dies.
I'm not a small engine mechanic which is why I took it to the expert, but I can swap a part. Any ideas where to go next? I don't like to think of l awnmowers as consumables; if maintained and not abused they should last nea r forever in home use. Maybe a lawn service would wear one out but not me.
On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 8:28:46 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:

how old but it looks practically brand new.

his repair shop twice, they claimed to fix it but didn't, he gave up and b ought a new one.

e it fixed for the third time last season. I used it for about one tank of gas before winter, I ran it dry of course.

d before I got about 20 square feet of lawn mowed. Same symptoms as before . It starts and dies.

I can swap a part. Any ideas where to go next? I don't like to think of lawnmowers as consumables; if maintained and not abused they should last n ear forever in home use. Maybe a lawn service would wear one out but not m e.
First question would be what was diagnoses as the problem on all the other pro repairs? It's very common for carbs to be a problem on these small engines due to ethanol gas. Some, for whatever reason, are more susceptibl e than others. If it has compression and spark, the carb and fuel supply, eg filter in tank, kinked hose, are the remaining prime suspects.
You can buy a rebuild kit for many carbs on Ebay for less than $10. That gives you gaskets, needle valves, welch plugs, etc so that you can completely disassemble the carb, clean it, rebuild it. You can do that without the kit, but if it has welch plugs, you can't get to all the passages without taking those out and then you need new ones. Still, you can probably clean 90% of it or more and the areas behind the plugs may not be the problem. They also have many aftermarket replacement Chinese carbs for maybe $20. I recently bought one for my leaf blower and it runs better than ever.
On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 9:24:09 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I didn't know that. I have actually rebuilt a carb for a car I owned, but it's been nearly 50 years. My kids have never seen one. Come to think of it, my auto mechanic has probably never seen one. But rebuild kits are fid dly if the model isn't exactly the same, I'm better off getting the whole c arb for $10 more. Thanks, worth a try.
On 3/25/2019 8:28 AM, TimR wrote:

I might think of going to a better repair shop or trading it in for a better model. My 10+ years old Honda has been trouble free.
check the gas cap vent m
On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 10:07:57 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yup. I read about that on google, so I tried. I get the same symptoms whether tight, loose, or off.

The problem must be that the fuel isnt getting into the carb bowl quick enough. Did you drain it over the winter ? If not it likely gets gummed up over winter.

I had a 6.5 Toro Recycler < not self propelled > for ~ 10 years and the best thing about it was the engine. I scrapped it when the frame rusted out. I would have squeezed more years out of it - except it was such a frustrating machine for clogging - even in side-discharge use .. John T.
On 03/25/2019 06:28 AM, TimR wrote:

Starts and dies is usually a fuel problem. Is the tank vented?

What engine? does it start after sitting for a while to cool off? Did you try running withthe fuel cap loose? It's either fuel or spark.The ignitor/coil unit can fail when warm. The fuel cap vent can be plugged. If it runs well than quits it is unlikely to be a carburetor problem - but not impossible. I'm assuming it is a flat-head Tecumseh or Briggs - not an OHV Chonda

Not sure what engine the OP has - the B&S 7 HP in this video looks like the 6.5 that I had - I never had a bit of trouble with mine - started first or second pull for 10 years or so. ... maybe 3 pulls for first start in the spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4TN7U2vOI

I hated to junk a good engine, but I didn't like anything else about that mower. I found a little Jacobsen/Homelite for $ 25. at an auction - looked like it had sat unused for some years - and after cleaning the carb it works like a champ ! 3.5 or 4 HP B&S Quantum ; aluminum deck. John T.
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 15:17:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I have ar early 80s Toro recycler - cast deck. It sat for over 20 years and starts very well. The owners had a lawn service do their lawn for the last 30 or 35 years and finally decided to get rid of it.

That's how I got mine - and I stopped to ask about it.

I had a weed whacker the showed the same symptoms. Gave it to my son, who found the hose from the gas tank to the carb had dissolved/melted enough to restrict the gas flow. He put on a new hose and then it worked fine.
Frank posted for all of us...

You should restate your last sentence, to: have mental ability.
--
Tekkie

On 3/25/2019 4:08 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

You are correct too. I took my comment from a bookmark I have from the American Chemical Society that urged members to speak up.

Some of the early Briggs side valve engines suffered from a magretron unit that failed when warm. Not at all out of the ordinary. If it starts and runs for ANY time at all, it's generally NOT the carb.
The OEM coil unit runs $40- $50. Aftermarket replacements are available for about $17 - $20US

I think all the gasohol is good for is to add more money to the corn farmers.
It will gum up small engines if they are not ran almost every week., Even then it is not good for them.