Drillin' big holes

  9" in diameter big holes . Thru rocky ground with a lot of roots . And 24" deep , but I didn't do it by hand this time , I rented a powered auger .  Things I learned include when you feel the auger start bumping get it outta the hole NOW ! Rocks usually just stop the machine from drilling deeper , but a root can and will trap the auger and suck it down faster than it can dig , stalling the machine . Then ya gotta uncouple the power head (this is driven via a drive cable and torque arm to a worm and pinion) from the auger and use a wrench to reverse it out of the hole . Don't forget to cut that root before you continue ... any way , the reason for this task is to build a carport structure over our camper . It'll be 12' wide and 11' tall clear dimensions , and 30 feet long to accommodate the camper and both Harleys . That's bigger than needed for the camper both wide and tall , but we're considering moving up to an RV in the future , it's going to be big enough for anything but a Class A (I think that's the big'uns) which is way bigger than we're considering . And my back still hurts , but nowhere near as much as if I'd dug those holes by hand .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

  Well Tim , that's the difference between you and I . I've always been a hands-on kinda guy . I'd much rather do it myself than pay some jackleg to f*ck it up and still end up doing it RIGHT myself . I work on my own car , my own motorcycles , I'm building my own house and since I have a well-equipped machine shop with 4 different kinds of welders I do that stuff for myself too - and others , if I like them . The end result of doing for myself is a massive collection of tools , money in the bank that I didn't pay someone else , and a great deal of personal satisfaction . BTW , I worked in many aspects of construction over the years , retired as a master cabinet maker . I'm the guy that built the $35,000 reception desks with exotic wood inlays and curved sections .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Bam! bam, bam...

Reply to
Oren

The thing about this unit is that it's uncontrolled gravity feed . By the time I finished my 8th hole I had it figured out . You brace your leg under the torque rod and pull the thing out of the ground far enough to clear some dirt from it every few inches . Takes some of the load off and makes it much easier to control . Here's a link to the ad for this unit:

The head with a 9" auger weighs probably 75-80 pounds .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Rent one that fits the 3pt hitch of the little tractor. Ot would take quite a root to throw a little Kubota or an old Ford 8N

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My old neighbour - Reg - had no electricity or running water - but he had 3 Ford 8N s !

Each had a name and a separate purpose and according to Reg a personality ... One Christmas, we sat by his stove and listened to scratchy Johnny Cash - 78 rpm - on his crank-up player .. .. and had a beer. John T.

Reply to
hubops

(along with the older 9N and 2N) In running condition they still command a pretty decent price.

Reply to
Clare Snyder