Drillin' big holes

  9" in diameter big holes . Thru rocky ground with a lot of roots . And 24" deep , but I didn't do it by hand this time , I rented a powered auger .  Things I learned include when you feel the auger start bumping get it outta the hole NOW ! Rocks usually just stop the machine from drilling deeper , but a root can and will trap the auger and suck it down faster than it can dig , stalling the machine . Then ya gotta uncouple the power head (this is driven via a drive cable and torque arm to a worm and pinion) from the auger and use a wrench to reverse it out of the hole . Don't forget to cut that root before you continue ... any way , the reason for this task is to build a carport structure over our camper . It'll be 12' wide and 11' tall clear dimensions , and 30 feet long to accommodate the camper and both Harleys . That's bigger than needed for the camper both wide and tall , but we're considering moving up to an RV in the future , it's going to be big enough for anything but a Class A (I think that's the big'uns) which is way bigger than we're considering . And my back still hurts , but nowhere near as much as if I'd dug those holes by hand .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 11:40:37 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

ing

You could have done it the easy way. Just throw a shovel of concrete on the ground for the footers. That's what they did in a 120 unit condo development where I once lived. Found it out when the decks started sinking. The building inspector, I think he was last seen headed for Montana. The FBI raided the home of the mayor a few years later. The mayor, who was also the paid fire chief in a nearby town, had $50K in cash hidden in his attic. He plead guilty to multiple bribery charges.
I worked with someone who was drilling postholes on his farm.
Somehow the auger snagged his sleeve, picked him up and threw him. He landed without the shirt but with two broken arms and two broken shoulders, and it happened in such a blink nobody could react.
I think I would just hire it done, rather than renting an auger.
On 3/24/2019 12:47 PM, TimR wrote:

  Well Tim , that's the difference between you and I . I've always been a hands-on kinda guy . I'd much rather do it myself than pay some jackleg to fuck it up and still end up doing it RIGHT myself . I work on my own car , my own motorcycles , I'm building my own house and since I have a well-equipped machine shop with 4 different kinds of welders I do that stuff for myself too - and others , if I like them . The end result of doing for myself is a massive collection of tools , money in the bank that I didn't pay someone else , and a great deal of personal satisfaction . BTW , I worked in many aspects of construction over the years , retired as a master cabinet maker . I'm the guy that built the $35,000 reception desks with exotic wood inlays and curved sections .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Rent one that fits the 3pt hitch of the little tractor. Ot would take quite a root to throw a little Kubota or an old Ford 8N

My old neighbour - Reg - had no electricity or running water - but he had 3 Ford 8N s !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_N-series_tractor
Each had a name and a separate purpose and according to Reg a personality ... One Christmas, we sat by his stove and listened to scratchy Johnny Cash - 78 rpm - on his crank-up player .. .. and had a beer. John T.
On 3/24/19 3:57 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Tractor House still has Dearborn farm equipment to fit the 8Ns. http://tinyurl.com/yxekh7z5 or <https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/manufacturer/dearborn
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 18:17:12 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Among hobby farmers the 8N is still an extremely popular tractor. (along with the older 9N and 2N) In running condition they still command a pretty decent price.