Sharpening swiss army knives

Has the steel that Victorinox uses gotten cheaper over the years?
I have an excellent knife sharpener that gives a razor edge on other knives but not on the Swiss Army knife.
Andy
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Other steels have gotten better. What knife sharpener do you have? If it is electric all bets are off, along with inexpensive ones. It also depends on what you are cutting.
--
Tekkie

On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 3:03:50 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:

ives but not on the Swiss Army knife.

is

"https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm9p6mmvgactezp/Knife_Sharpener.jpg?dl=0 "

Curious I tried to put a sharp edge on a Swiss army type non Vitorinox and put it through the electric stone one in the kitchen which does a decent job on my kitchen knives and then through a ceramic sharpener I use for my hunting knives and neither put a razor sharp edge on it.
Of course there is this Vitorinox video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnz1zObKRA

On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 5:41:23 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

knives but not on the Swiss Army knife.

it is

s on

Saw the video.
What a long involved process.
And they did not showing it cutting paper. :-)
I saw in another post that they went to a steel that was rust proof.
Maybe that steel holds less of an edge?
Cuisinart makes excellent knives. I have a large one that holds a great edg e.
Andy
I have a friend who makes oboe reeds and needs a really sharp knife.
He uses fine grit sandpaper or emery paper glued to a flat surface.
I'll have to try it on my Swiss army knife.
On 03/25/2019 05:14 PM, TimR wrote:

Search for 'scary sharp'. I use a piece of plate glass that I picked up at a glass shop and Wetordry paper. Just wet the paper and that's generally enough to hold it in place on the glass without any glue. A hardware store variety pack is good enough but you can get find it out to 5000 or 7000 grit at auto stores.
I've got a Victorinox that I found but I've never sharpened or used it. I'm not big on stainless steel and that's what the 'inox' comes from. Some of the alloys aren't bad but others are close to impossible to sharpen.
On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 5:41:23 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

knives but not on the Swiss Army knife.

it is

s on

I used my bench grinder.
It gave it a decent edge.
Andy
On 03/25/2019 05:13 PM, A K wrote:

Unless I'm feeling real purist I use a Work Sharp:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200431964_200431964
It's a handheld belt sander with a variety of guides. It doesn't have all the style points of a Japanese wet stone system but it gets the job done.

Honing compound for the polished razor sharp edge : ie straight razor. or fussy people's planes / chisels :-) http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p2984&cat=1,43072
Kitchen knives seem to work better with a bit of "tooth". - many styles of kitchen drawer sharpeners are available. Expensive "folded steel" knives or laminated knives need special care ! < do not use a steel >
Pocket knives are a very personal thing - a double-sided diamond hone would keep most people happy ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?pp638&cat=1,43072
Click on the "Instr" "Tech" "Video" links on the Lee Valley web page for some useful info - it's not just sales stuff. John T.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have a similar sharpener. It does a great job on most steel butcher knives, but is terrible for stainless steel.
My Father was a butcher, and I have some of his old stone sharpeners. They also do a good job sharpening regular steel knives, but not so good for stainless.
My problem with the stone sharpeners, is that they wear away the knives over time.
Fred
On 3/26/2019 12:27 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

I cringe when I hear my wife using our stone sharpener in the kitchen. A nice boning knife is starting to look like a toothpick. What should be done is the honing steel should first be used as initial dullness is slight folding of the edge. If stone is needed, a quick swipe is probably all that is needed.
My two Buck hunting knives maybe over 40 years old look practically brand new. They do not get used often but after use I might give them a slight touch up with the ceramic sharpener. They are sharp enough to shave with.
To me the Swiss army knifes are nice to have and get by with in a pinch. 2 1/4 folding blade is not going to give excellent service and is only for occasional use.
On 3/26/2019 12:45 PM, Frank wrote:

Just googled up this video by a chef:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU2mbWwVSXU

Hones before each use. At the end of the video he says he sharpens once a year.
On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 11:57:05 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

te:

"

tcher

od

ld be

them a

.

s only

Good video.
Andy
On 4/1/2019 6:56 PM, A K wrote:

I told the wife about it but she will not follow it. Sometimes I will hone the kitchen knives myself to keep them away from the stone.
Frank posted for all of us...

her

=0"

cher

.
good

ves

. A

d be

hem a

ch.

s only

ce

Hone or strop?
--
Tekkie

I have wet/dry sandpaper, the dark stuff, glued on flat blocks with rubber cement. I used those sample flooring squares they give away free at Home D epot or 25 cents at Lowes. The grits are 220, 400, 800, and 2000 right now . They did a nice job on my pocket knife, I'll see how they work on my Swi ss Army knife.

Victorinox uses Sandvik 12C27, which is actually a very good steel. It's used for a lot of knives, not just Victorinox.
It's not the latest boutique steel or the current darling of the knife forums, but it's very useful.
I have a Victorinox Tinker that I got as an Xmas present and I can put a razor edge on it quite easily. It holds an edge well too.
I have some other knives that can hold an edge longer than the Tinker, but they tend to be harder to sharpen in the first place.
I'm very happy with this Tinker for EDC and it's always in my pants pocket. Before I got it I had a whole bunch of knives that I rotated in and out, but the Tinker has proven to be so useful (as more than just a knife) that I haven't felt inclined to leave it home at all.
Bud Frede posted for all of us...

nives but not on the Swiss Army knife.

t is

on

Why not tell the OP how to sharpen it then?
--
Tekkie

I use a number of methods.
I have bench hones (Soft and Hard Arkansas from Dan's and a Fine hone from Spyderco) and I use those sometimes. Or I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker.
I also have a set of paper wheels on a bench grinder and that works really well too. (And yes, the bench grinder is electric so I guess all bets are off...) :-)
In between sharpenings, I use a smooth steel from Razor Edge Systems to maintain the edge.
The Lansky sharpeners should also do a fine job on a Victorinox blade.