Grub Hoe

Is this a good tool for digging up roots from saplings, which I have an entire backyard full of? Using a spade is too difficult.Unfortunately a grub hoe isn't listed at the Home Depot and Lowes websites, so I assume I will have to find a farming equpiment wholesaler or such.

Reply to
ADD

Good day ADD, a grub hoe will do you well in removing saplings. I personaly like using a pulaski for such things, but a grub hoe will do just fine. If your not one for getting on your knees to dig up the trees, try a long handle mattock.

As far as Lowes and Home Depo, I would suggest that you look at your locally based retailers. Sure you can get many products "cheaper" at these big box stores, but when you shop locally your money tends to support your local economy....

Reply to
Timothy

If you need to get some work done while you're hunting for the tool, try sharpening your spade. You'll be amazed. Also, if the roots you're hacking away are in nice soil without a lot of rocks, you might be surprised to find that a pruning saw will work underground. Try it. But, if you own a really nice saw, you might want to buy a cheap one, in case you do hit a rock and bend the blade.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Try a matix - kind of like a pick ax but with a flat blade - works great and heavy enough to to the trick.

Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.

Reply to
Mel-Donnie Kelly

We call them grape hoe's here. Great tool.

Reply to
Steveo

I think my son may be getting involved with a hoe. This is the first girl he won't introduce to his mom and I.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Home Depot has them. I bought one at our local HD back in April. Wear gloves. You're gonna get a blister at the base of your thumbs

Reply to
JKevorkian

I don't know where you're located, but do you have a hardware store or garden supply store near you? Do yo have a local Farm and Garden Supply store? That's where I got mine. But they are NOT of the quality of the tools Daddy owned! Wal-Mart has a cheapO one...may last a week if you only use it once. Some hardware stores have them.

Photos and brief info here:

reason I like prefer the grubbing hoe over the regular garden hoe is its weight...it's heavier and necessary for roots or hard ground. Just like a heavy hammer, the heavier the hammer, the less muscle power needed to do the job, with the exception of the lifting of course. A light hammer will flat wear you out, and the same is true of a regular garden hoe unless you're dealing with soft, loose soil. Yes, do get some gloves. I suggest the deer skin ones. They are soft, plyable and long lasting.

Helen

Reply to
Helen