Composting Question

When I pull weeds out of my garden and flower beds I toss them in to my compost bin. My neighbor said that I shouldn't do that because it will cause more weeds when I spread the compost due to the weed seeds in the compost. Is he right?

Thanks, Jib

Reply to
Jibby

Consider yourself fortunate to have a knowledgeable neighbor.

NEVER put weeds into a compost pile.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

What Dick said is pretty much true. However, if you can maintain a two-step compost system (two bins, and everything from #1 proceeds to #2), ***AND*** you can make both work perfectly, as far as temperature, some sources say you can compost almost any kind of plant matter, including weeds with flowers and/or seeds. If you're interested in making this work, get a compost thermometer and make sure you've got the procedure down pat. Otherwise, forget it. Not worth the risk.

I will say this, though: I have no trouble composting weeds which have no flowers or seeds - just green. Usually, it's the tender stuff that's young, and easy to pull out of the ground after a rain. But, some days, I just don't feel like flinging some weeds into this pile and others into that pile, so everything ends up in the trash.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If anything is going to germinate it will do so right there in your compost pile - and since compost piles need to be occassionally turned you can just bury the new growth when you turn it. If you are really composting the pile should be cooking - very warm (close to hot) to your hand when you reach down in it. If not, add some lawn fertilizer (high nitrogen) , soil and wet it next time you turn it By the time it becomes useable "compost" there should be no live plant growth left.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies.

Jib

Reply to
Jibby

Probably has to do with the seeds...and if they're not crushed. In the yard I cut the grass at a higher mower level to insure the tops of the weeds (with the seeds) are cut. Compost is good for helping seeds grow..so if weed seeds are in there... well, there ya go...

Reply to
Helen