Service trucks

I am looking for a general consensus on the F-250/F-350 SD with the diesel. Problems?? Fuel economy?? Unusual failures or things that wear out prematurely?? Routine maintenance intervals(oil changes, etc)?? For those who already own one, if you had it to do all over, are there any factory options you would or would not get??

I am looking at the F-250 SD XLT with regular cab, std trans, with a service body.

Next question.....Service bodies....... What kind of service body do you have?? What brand?? Model number?? If you could do it over, would you get the same one?? if not, why not?? What would you have done differently?? What additional options would you have gotten??

And the all important final question.............

Bench seat?? or the captains chairs??? :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

Ford. Found On Road Dead.

at 50,000 miles, I took my 2002 GMC 2500HD in to check the brakes. Still at 50%, tires good for another 5,000-7500 miles. Disc brakes on all 4 wheels

The only thing i would have done different is get a king cab with an 8' bed. Nice feature on the service body is the locking dead bolt on each side. One deadbolt locks all compartments on one side.

who in their right mind buys a vehicle with a standard transmission?

Reply to
gofish

I can only hope :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

Steve, you ain't a pimply faced teenager. You know how to operate a clutch....

Reply to
HeatMan

I learned how to drive in a '68 VW fastback in the hills of San Francisco. Other than a year or 2, I have always driven a vehicle with a standard transmission. When I had my red Mustang, I replaced the clutch at 180,000 miles, the tattletales were still on the disk...all the way around both sides. The problem was that the spring pack was gone....not just worn out.....*gone*...there were a couple of small pieces of spring in the bottom of the bell housing tho. :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

You didn't happen to sell it to a kid on Long Island, NY, did you ? That was my first car, too :-)

Reply to
pjm

I like Chevy's, Steve. We've tried Fords and Dodges, but the old Chevy wins out every time.

Ford beds seem weak to me, and the bumper arrangement sucks (if you need to use it). The Chevy drive train is tried-and-true, and if you get a 4 x 4 or an extended cab it'll be built in Fort Wayne, Indiana, by people who give a shit (take my word for it)!!

Ford brakes, clutches, and power steering pumps all seemed to present problems.. if I remember correctly.

To whoever asked about a manual tranny... you better have one in a work truck if you're gonna move much weight around.... nothing else lasts, IMO.

I can't speak as to diesels, as none of the small ones worked for us... maybe in a warmer climate you'd do OK.

We get our bodies from Warner.... they're an Indiana company right up the street but well renowned:

Call Mark Boice and you'll find he'll build you just about anything you want.... at very competitive prices.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

F*cked Over Rebuilt Dodge

Reply to
kjpro

'Dodge'

Damn Old Dod Goes Everywhere

Reply to
kjpro

Ooops, that was to be Dog!

Reply to
kjpro

Probably did, because I think I got his Red 'Stang.... the rear end was shot, too (-; .

That's OK, because all the beer cans in the trunk paid for a new one...... Thanks, Steve!

Jake

Reply to
Jake

I have.

Doesn't exist

Not cheap or young.......... I can't help it if you aren't corridinated enough to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, let alone be able to drive a vehicle with a standard transmission, or maybe its just because your ass is just too lazy to push a in clutch pedal

Reply to
Noon-Air

Jake posted for all of us....

** President of Indiana Chamber of Commerce - We'll take your money **
Reply to
Tekkie

Noon-Air posted for all of us....

I prefer to drive "shiftless" transmission.

Reply to
Tekkie

Hey TK, that ain't true.... I'm a 'Bama boy at heart... ROLL TIDE!!!

That said, I've made my living in Indiana for more than a few years now... the state where most of your auto parts come from if they weren't made overseas.

It's a backwards state, for sure... we can't even decide what time it is.... whether to use daylight savings time or not.

But there are a lot of really good craftsmen here. And by-and-large, they build good stuff. Indiana also (used) to make more steel and iron than anyone else in the World.

Me.... I'm gonna retire to AZ. one of these days and move in with Vicki (-;... or maybe not. I think Julie wouldn't like that much....

But Julie does like AZ........ so maybe I'll just follow my wife instead.

Jake

Oh, and yes.... we'll take your money.... anytime!!!

Reply to
Jake

where I'm at theres three basic choices on 3rd party truck bodies:

1)
(mine) 2)
the locking, sliding rear cover was part of the package. Harbor didnt offer the extended height body that Pacific did, but they had other desireable features that Pacific didnt offer.
gofish

Fix or Repair Daily :-)

Reply to
gofish

Back in the old days it WAS standard. But not anymore. The name still lingers. I learned on a manual shift and prefer them. My oldest son now drives one and loves it. There is a certain joy to shifting gears but my wife can't drive one so we always buy cars with an automatic transmision. We buy work vehicles that way too because not everyone can drive a standard.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Found On Road Dead, Driver Returns On Foot :-)

This could go on a long time!

I drive a Ford E-150. Hate It. My first Ford. Will NEVER buy another Ford.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Reply to